Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Are you more intelligent than Leonardo da Vinci?

[ QUOTE ]
If this is true then maybe David is on to something regarding Religion getting in the way. If gays are smarter then it is because women divert out attention. We could be smarter but get distracted. That is basically what David says about Religion.

Might be a new method for David to pursue in his quest to conquer Religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to tell you this, but gay men are just as 'distracted' as straight men (or so I'm told). The attention just goes to a different place.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:57 AM

da Vinci wasn't smarter than God, and God gave man dominion over the animals. And he wasn't smarter than nature either, of which carnivores have always been a part once evolution got past a certain point.

Which is convenient for me cause I like meat.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:30 AM

He is, however, smarter than most carivores.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:55 AM

It's quite clear that Mr. da Vinci wasn't very intelligent at all:

[ QUOTE ]
Vasari tells, as an instance of his love of animals, how when in Florence he passed places where birds were sold he would frequently take them from their cages with his own hand, and having paid the sellers the price that was asked would let them fly away in the air, thus giving them back their liberty.

[/ QUOTE ]

All this does is create a market for more birds, and so new birds will go through the torture of imprisonment. He's actually increased suffering by doing this.

And yes, I am. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this is true then maybe David is on to something regarding Religion getting in the way. If gays are smarter then it is because women divert out attention. We could be smarter but get distracted. That is basically what David says about Religion.

Might be a new method for David to pursue in his quest to conquer Religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to tell you this, but gay men are just as 'distracted' as straight men (or so I'm told). The attention just goes to a different place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd argue that gay men are even more distracted.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And it's rumored that he was either asexual or gay. Should we follow these lifestyles too because he was so friggin' smart? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you dismiss his intelligence because he may have been gay or asexual?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? I knew I should of put a disclaimer at the end.
I think you missed my point. The OP is taking different subjects ("intelligence" vs. lifestyle choice) and relating them. He's basically saying that because Da Vinci was brilliant that his way of living must be correct because he's so brilliant - which is rarely the case. If you look at brilliant people in history they're often some messed up people emotionally or in relationships (not that I am saying anything's wrong with being gay).
I guess I should have made my point clearer but I was just trying to make the point about the separation between the two subjects.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you missed my point. The OP is taking different subjects ("intelligence" vs. lifestyle choice) and relating them. He's basically saying that because Da Vinci was brilliant that his way of living must be correct because he's so brilliant - which is rarely the case. If you look at brilliant people in history they're often some messed up people emotionally or in relationships (not that I am saying anything's wrong with being gay).
I guess I should have made my point clearer but I was just trying to make the point about the separation between the two subjects.

[/ QUOTE ]

For most, being a vegetarian is a conscious decision made on facts. Your sexual preference is almost never a choice.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
da Vinci wasn't smarter than God, and God gave man dominion over the animals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominion doesn't mean killing. You might want to look up the definition. Don't you have dominion over your children?

[ QUOTE ]
And he wasn't smarter than nature either, of which carnivores have always been a part once evolution got past a certain point.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not necessary for man to survive as a carnivore. How do you know that evolution won't filter out carnivores at some point?

Reminds me of a guy at work who confronted me: "Have you ever seen a lion chase down his prey?" "Yes" "Do you think the lion should be punished for killing?"

If you want to compare yourself to the beasts of the land, then go ahead. I'd like to think that humans are getting intelligent to realize we can live without killing animals for food and should.

As another poster stated, I certainly hope that a much more intelligent species doesn't visit our Earth with the same opinion of lower intelligent life.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For most, being a vegetarian is a conscious decision made on facts. Your sexual preference is almost never a choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche. Bad example with the sexual preference thing. Maybe Picasso chose to be abusive (or any number of scientists, artists, etc. and their non-intrinsic flaws) would work better.
Although isn't vegetarianism based on morals (or ethics or whatever) rather than facts?
I still think that following someone's lifestyle because, wow, they're really smart, is not the way to go about it.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think that following someone's lifestyle because, wow, they're really smart, is not the way to go about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand, but I think it has some relevance. I didn't choose it because da Vinci did, but I think it lends some credibility to it for me when I see who is. It isn't exactly the same as drinking Sprite because your favorite athlete does.