Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Just got pulled over while walking

[ QUOTE ]

I've gotten out of several well-deserved tickets just by being a nice guy (someones gonna FYP this one, I'm sure) and bantering pleasantly with the cop. They are so used to nits like you that they cut me some slack for being a nice guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being nice to get out of a traffic ticket is +EV. Letting a cop violate your rights while you're out walking late at night is -EV.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys, I dig your little experiment.

In the US this encounter is known as a stop. Law Enforcement can stop you based on reasonable suspicion and detain you to breifly question you.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's actually called a Terry Stop (From Terry v. Ohio) Any reasonable suspicion and the officer can stop you, question you, detain you, and if he feels he/she is in danger, frisk search. Not a full search but just a quick check for weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

What constitutes a 'reasonable suspicion' is what is important. Walking back from Tim Horton's with coffee cups in your hand at 2am should not be deemed as being suspicious. Claiming 'Reasonable suspicion' does not give the cops carte blanche to violate your rights. At the very least, the cops would have to let you know what they 'reasonably suspect' that you are doing which allows them to search you.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Was it the OPP that stopped you? Which city are you in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was the OPP. I'm not sure.

Why do you ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that the OPP cannot stop you on municipal roads. Only on provencial roads/highways or in towns where there is no municipal police force can they stop you, but I may be wrong.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:56 PM

Sorry, from the OP I thought you hadn't gotten the number because the cop had covered his badge number with his finger and/or you didn't have paper to write the number down on. Having his badge number will help you out immensely.

Here's the link to the thread you asked for:

So I got arrested...
Old 09-05-2005, 03:01 PM

Yea ive been "pulled over" while walking/running too. Its very odd. Apparently one time this guy saw me walking on the sidewalk and i was a little to close to his car, so of course i stole his radio. He called the cops and I was let go when the cop who I talked to is a good friend of my gf at the time (my gf's entire family including her works in local law enforcement) it was kinda funny..it helps to not look like a punk too.

Its also fun driving with her, she goes 20 over the limit at all times because she knows she wont get a ticket. +EV.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that the OPP cannot stop you on municipal roads. Only on provencial roads/highways or in towns where there is no municipal police force can they stop you, but I may be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they're permitted on any 400 series highway, and anywhere that isn't already serviced by a police force. They used to police my area (Kanata), but when we became part of Ottawa the Ottawa Police took over local policing. However, the OPP still patrols the 417 and 416 in Ottawa.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whitby being a municipality, I don't think we have a local police force. I'm pretty sure we have an OPP station right in town, too. But don't quote me on that (I've EARNED the nickname Capt Oblivious). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whitby being a municipality, I don't think we have a local police force. I'm pretty sure we have an OPP station right in town, too. But don't quote me on that (I've EARNED the nickname Capt Oblivious). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The OPP probably does the policing in your area, then. The OPP gets the dimmest bulbs -- these are the guys who couldn't get in with local police forces, and couldn't get in with the RCMP.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:16 PM

I have enormous respect for anybody who knows their rights and applies them. It's amazing how many people would fold to that cop. Cheers!
Old 09-05-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you do have a local force.

http://www.police.durham.on.ca