Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 01:50 AM

Default 5/10 Just Doubled Someone Up

Do you play this any other way? I think I played it correctly but I want to be sure.

villian has 1200 and I have him covered. I have been playing with him for about 4 hours so I believe my read to be very solid. He is overly tight but he is aggressive. I havent really seen him make a bad play yet.

I am in the SB and I have a beautiful A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

5 limpers to me and I make it $100 to go. Shockingly, the villian calls in the BB and everyone else folds. I have to place him on a big pair, most likely KK.

The flop is a beautiful 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I lead out for a hundred and he reraises me $350. I thought of pushing here but I didnt want to scare him off since I will blow him out with a reraise. I havent made a bet that large preflop yet so I am thinking he might think I have JJ or QQ and I am hoping he sets me in on the turn.

The turn is an ugly 3rd spade and I am forced to bet since I dont want a 4th spade to him the river. I push and he calls and takes it down with the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. If the third flush card hadnt hit the turn I would have checked.

Is my play sound here? I think it is but I am not sure.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: 5/10 Just Doubled Someone Up

i don't think this is the optimal play

if the player is in anyway decent, he will know that you are probably not drawing on that flop and have an overpair to that hand once you call the flop. so your hand is well defined and he is probably done with JJ/QQ. get it all in on the flop as you're just giving JJ/QQ an extra card to draw for, and if KK will probably follow anyway.

as for the turn, you want to see the showdown for as cheaply as possible. you can check to see what he does on the turn, and decide to call based on what happens, but if you move all in there, it's hard for your opponent to make a mistake. he will most certainly call when you're behind, and fold when he's behind.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:35 AM

You need to push that flop everytime after getting raised.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:38 AM

this is only well played if you are near 100% sure this player has spades and will bet the turn if a spade misses.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:40 AM

If you didn't think he had a 10, then why don't you just push? KK and QQ is either going to pay you off most likely on either the flop or the turn.
The flop raise is either a 10, KK, QQ, JJ or a flush draw. And you beat two out of three of those scenarios. And a ten is highly unlikely since it's doubtful he calls your 10Xbb preflop raise with any hand that has a 10 in it.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:01 AM

Your play is good given your read. . unfortunately your read was horrible.