Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 02:01 PM

Default 88 UTG+1 ... Bet the river?

This table sucked! That's being nice. I was at the end of a 35BB negative swing on 6 hands in a row. (AA twice, KK, AK, QQ, and AQs all spanked really hard.)

Should I have bet this river.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks,

<font color="purple">I know this is marginal, but I'm tilting a little.</font>

Flop: (4 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

<font color="purple">After getting called on the turn and the river... I just can't bet this river, especially with the overcard hitting. I smell a c/r here (since I've been getting c/r'd on the river all night long.</font>

Final Pot: 8 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8 BB, between CO, SB, BB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (8 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Ac 2s (one pair, twos).
BB shows 9c 6s (high card, jack).
Hero shows 8d 8c (one pair, eights).
CO shows Qs Ah (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 8 BB. </font>
Old 07-06-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Re: 88 UTG+1 ... Bet the river?

I think the limp with 88 is fine at the typical Party 1/2 table.

Bet the river. No reason to think anyone has a J, but if they do, so be it. You're leaving bets on the table here far more often than you are saving them by checking. Bet and call a checkraise.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:34 PM

Hey pete,
I know the feeling. The last five hands you've played, you get to the river with the turn winner and a scare card hits. You hitch up your jockeys and bet after getting checked to, and then the dreaded checkraise. So on the sixth time, you say to yourself, "not again. I'm gonna show them. I'm gonna check it through." So you calmly check and lean back at the computer, maybe even put your feet up, and pat yourself on the back for not falling for it again. But as the chips slide toward you, you realize you just missed a bet. Besides, BB and CO will call. Bet the river.

-Jaran
Old 07-06-2004, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was at the end of a 35BB negative swing on 6 hands in a row.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just glad to know it happens to other people too. I go through a crisis of confidence every time i have a loosing session.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:07 PM

Having gone through similar occurrences on Party, I can understand the check. A bet would have been better, but it's understandable that you checked.

Seeing that two of them should have folded on the flop, and were just drawing, your instincts were logical, if not correct this time.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:33 PM

This is definitely a bet. The only overcard I might check is an ace, and I'm not sure if that's weak.

otherwise, played very well.