Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Why All The Details?

When I asked about the "In His Image" statement, Not Ready referred us to a website that went into lengthy intricate detail about the subject, describing all the various, Christian theories and what was right and wrong about them. But what is the point of all this? Because even devout Christians seem to agree that God will not be angry or punish you if you get these details wrong.

I said before that one problem with being religous is that it wastes time. Time that could be used for more productive things. That's been countered with the idea that earthly things don't matter as much as the afterlife. But even if you accept that, it doesn't apply once you have gotten the basics down. The things relevant to that afterlife. Spending inordinate time trying to figure out details that even God doesn't care if you know, sounds an awful lot like an excuse to escape any responsibility to improve the world. And you think God would applaud you for that?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Why All The Details?

How does one improve the world? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 12:32 PM

Good question. For a different thread.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But what is the point of all this?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point of asking?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:18 PM

I'd say it's pretty relevant to this thread because if you say I'm wasting my time, I think you should at least give me a hint as to what I could do that is not a waste of time. I promise I won't get into a big debate about it in this thread (maybe in another one, though) but for now I'd just like to know. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I said before that one problem with being religious is that it wastes time. Time that could be used for more productive things. That's been countered with the idea that earthly things don't matter as much as the afterlife. But even if you accept that, it doesn't apply once you have gotten the basics down. The things relevant to that afterlife. Spending inordinate time trying to figure out details that even God doesn't care if you know, sounds an awful lot like an excuse to escape any responsibility to improve the world. And you think God would applaud you for that?

[/ QUOTE ]

David,

Now we are (finally?) getting down to the nitty-gritty. This also appears to partially answer NotReady’s question “What is the point of asking?”

It seems that you are saying that “[to] improve the world” is one of your values, perhaps you main value. That is a good thing. In fact, I find it commendable. But, of course you understand that it is a subjective value.

So, this leads to the question, why do you find it of such value? Also, are we talking immediate concerns of the state of the world (and I include curing cancer for example) and/or long term goals for improving the world (here I include such things as - to protect the longevity of the human race)?

My point is not rhetorical. I am asking because I offer this challenge: If you can argue a case and convince me that there is a reason that one should care about the longevity of the human race* (e.g. my questions posed in another thread - why worry about the ozone, what difference does it make whether mankind becomes extinct like the dinosaurs?) I will give up my Religon. Yep, you heard me right. (N.b. I am not even qualifying my challenge. I am not even asking you to show that this value is better than the value I see in my Religion.)

Now, in order to convince me, you cannot attempt to show the folly of my Religion. This argument does not do what I ask (nor do I think you can argue a case to me anyway, in this manner – see my methodology of how I arrived at my convictions and what my convictions actually are - but, that is irrelevant).

I think my challenge to you says something about my convictions vis a vis the way I decide my Religion and the main source I use, as well as my skepticism regarding whether values such as yours should override (or even negate) my convictions.

RJT

*This argument, obviously and I assume wouldn’t anyway, cannot include arguments of what my God might want for example.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:37 PM

I refuse to get into this debate. It has nothing to do with my question. Just forget about the part about improving the world in my original post. I just want to know why people waste their time on the details.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:59 PM

I guess I reject what seems to be an implied premise of yours. Namely that I should only spend my time (or only my time allocated to "religion/ethics") improving the world. I would argue that although I have an ethical responsibility to act in a way that improves the world, it isnt all that I have to do. I can spend some time thinking about whatever trivial details I want to.

As it happens, I think this musing over trivia also helps me to amend my values and in the long run that increases my chances of "doing the right thing" next time I must make an ethical choice. I dont regard this outcome as the reason for pondering the details - merely an unintended outcome of my intellectual enjoyment with puzzling out obscure points of trivial logic.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:14 PM

Why did you add in ethics? Why isn't anybody answering my simple question about learning debatable and unnecessary religious facts or doctrine?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why isn't anybody answering my simple question about learning debatable and unnecessary religious facts or doctrine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus said, "Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God."

There are no unnecessary Biblical doctrines.