Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 06:23 AM

Default Raising for Value?

Hello,

as i understand it, you can raise for value if you are putting in a percentage of the pot which is less than your pot equity ?

So if I have four to a flush (which i will hit about 35% of the time), and there are 4 in the pot with me, I am only putting 20% of the bets in the pot, yet my equity is 35% - I can raise here for value ?

Is this correct ?

If so, what If I am the first in the pot, and 3 of the 4 then fold ?
I've put 50% of the money in, but only have 35% equity ?

Have I made a mistake, and does this only apply if I'm in late position ?

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Raising for Value?

It's not a dumb question at all.

You are right that some calculations require you to make an assumption about how many players will stay in. If you expect to knock out all but one player, you may not be able to bet or raise for value. This can happen if you are in the small blind and you check-raise the button. That forces the other players to call two bets at once, and you can expect more players will fold. If you bet into a crowd of players, and then there is a raise, people would only have to call one bet at a time, so they would be more likely to stay in.

It's not common for a flush to be the only way you can win, but all flushes win for you. Usually you can win by catching 2-pair or trips, or else you have to worry about your opponent making a full house. You may have to worry about losing to a higher flush. Your hand may be high already, even without a pair. Knocking out some players may increase your chances to win without making a flush.