Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 12:09 AM

Default O\'Reilly on Potential RNC protestors

This is fun, I just want to see the reaction. FWIW, I think he is waaaaay off, but I also think the protests will get out of hand in NYC. The reason I say this is because the anarchist are showing up, and those muthafuckin bastards terrorized my city for 3 days during the WTO meeting. These people have no regard for anything, and they should be jailed immediately if they get out of line.

__________________________________________________ __________________________
Small Minority of Protestors Can Cause Big Trouble
Thursday, August 26, 2004
By Bill O'Reilly

June 10, 2004
Protestors and terrorists, that is the subject of this evening's "Talking Points" memo.

I believe it's safe to say that those of us who live in and around New York City are extremely sensitive to any kind of terror threat. That's obvious after 9/11 (search).

So next week's Republican Convention here is not a relaxed event. And many New Yorkers are leaving town. But coming to town are thousands of protestors, some of whom are terrorists themselves. And that has the potential of becoming a major problem.

New York City must deploy thousands of police to watch these protestors, to make sure they don't hurt anybody or damage property as they have done in the past. Most protestors are peaceful, but a small minority can cause big trouble.

Remember, there were more than 2,000 arrests in San Francisco in 2003 as protestors tried to shut down that city. It was absolutely shameful that the D.A. out there did not have the courage to prosecute those people. He simply let the law breakers go.

But here in New York, that's not going to happen. Protestors who break the law will not be treated kindly by the cops and prosecutors. The judges, well, that's another matter.

However, the new problem is that these potentially violent protestors damage security efforts against the terrorists themselves, who want to kill us. And that's a fact.

So what should happen is that any illegal activity by these protestors should be considered a terrorist act on its face. Putting the lives of New Yorkers in danger by distracting the police is terrorism, period.

There are reports of some anarchists who are going to douse themselves with gun powder to cause security alarms to go crazy. We also hear some of these people may roll marbles underneath the hooves of police horses. Any of that stuff is terrorism and the federal government should take over the prosecution.

Instead of being slapped on the wrist, violent and damage causing protestors should be slapped with federal prison time. Most Americans value protest. I certainly do. But we're fighting a war here. And any act that puts this country in danger is sabotage. Again, a terrorist act.

Homeland Security Czar Tom Ridge (search) should lay it on the line to the protestors. Behave yourselves. You'll be respected. Put Americans at risk, you'll be severely punished. We've asked the secretary to appear with us tomorrow. What say you, Mr. Ridge? And that's a memo.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:14 AM

Default Re: O\'Reilly on Potential RNC protestors

I've been going to the driving range on Randalls Island (in New York City) frequently recently. For the last 2 months, everytime I go there I see police in riot gear practicing. They even have fake protestors to practice on.

They are definitely expecting the worst.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:15 AM

I think it will get out of hand, seriously. My pops is thinking maybe it'll be like the DNC in Chitown back in '64?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:23 AM

The MO for police recently has not been to wait for protestors to get out of hand before acting aggressively, starting with the denial of legitimate protest permit requests and proceeding to unprovoked arrests and harassment.

In fact, the most violent protestors have generally gotten away scot free since Seattle, while the unlucky, peaceful types who refuse to clear a street corner have been the ones tear-gased and thrown in jail.

NT
Old 08-27-2004, 12:26 AM

"any illegal activity by these protestors should be considered a terrorist act on its face. Putting the lives of New Yorkers in danger by distracting the police is terrorism, period."

Any illegal activity should be considered a terrorist act? If their permit expires at 11:00 and they don't disband until 12:00? If they get drunk or use profanity in public?

Distracting the police is terrorism? I guess if you have an automobile accident and the police have to come you're a a terrorist. Or if your husband is beating you up.

What country is Mr. O'Reilly living in?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:29 AM

well his whole "point" is that if any of the protestors break the law while there in NYC, then essentially they are taking away police resources which could be used to combat any potential terrorist attack in NYC. Thats a pretty big stretch.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:35 AM

Well you might as well say that when the President has to submit a budget it's taking his time away from fighting terrorism. The police and the President should be fighting terrorism, but not to the exclusion of doing other things.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:39 AM

I don't think that Bloomberg will let the police riot like Dayley let them in Chicago in '68.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:40 AM

hey man, I agree with you.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:41 AM

well, the police might not riot, but don't sell those anarchist's short.