Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 11:18 AM

Default AKs - Taken Too Far ? What would you put Villain on ?

I hadn’t long been at the table, so had no reads.

Bet365 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG Calls, 2 Folds, MP1 Raises, 3 Folds, SB Raises, BB Calls, UTG Calls, MP1 Calls.

As I had no reads yet, I couldn’t really be sure what MP1 had. I decided to put him on AA-JJ to be on the safe side.

Flop: (24 SB) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
Hero Bets, BB Calls, UTG Folds, MP1 Raises, SB Raises, BB Calls, MP1 Caps, SB Calls, BB Calls.

I thought the flop was good for me, and with the A falling, I thought it less likely villain had AA. Also, he didn’t cap it Preflop which I would have thought he would if he had AA.
I also thought 45 wouldn’t have hung around given the preflop action.
I thought he could possible have two diamonds, so figures I was tied with AK, and ahead of any of the other hands I put him on, so I decided to raise until capped.

Was this too strong ?
If so, why given the hands that I could be beaten by at that point ?

Turn: (24 BB) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero Bets, BB goes all in for .10, MP1 Raises, SB Raises, MP1 Caps, SB Calls.

Once I was raised and reraised on this street, I definitely figured villain had AK. (unless he was raising his draw)
Again, would this be a normal assumption ?

River: (33 BB) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero Bets, MP1 raised, Hero Calls.

I saw no point in capping the river, and the pot was way to big to fold. I only bet as I figured he may fold a draw at this point. I did still fancy to have the best hand (albeit probably split once he didn’t fold)

Final Pot: 37 BB

Results (in white)
<font color="white"> Hero shows AK for a Pair of Aces
Villain shows 88 for 3 of a Kind 8s. </font>
Old 01-21-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: AKs - Taken Too Far ? What would you put Villain on ?

I'd call down after he raises the turn and expect AA a large portion of the time. I don't think he's going this crazy without AK or AA.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:31 PM

I agree with you, I don't see the villian having AA. I think a set is very possible. I call the turn raise and check/call the river unimproved.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:37 PM

turn: call his raise
river: check/call
Old 01-21-2005, 01:39 PM

I like the earlier streets but I check call the river. When villian caps the turn the best you can hope for here if you don't improve is a split. There's no reason to invest more when there are many hands that beat you and very few you beat. Not having seen the results I'm guessing he flopped a set or has AK or AA.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:40 PM

That's some interesting split personality disorder going on there between Hero/SB. The first time I read it, I thought you were getting 3-way action on all streets.

On a coordinated board like this, and given your relative position, you can consider check-raising the flop. You'd like to see a singleton diamond go away; a lone 5 has odds to call but might incorrectly fold too.

I like jamming while BB is still in the hand. Once he's all-in, then how far you go on the turn is really read-dependent -- with this action, you're up against some kind of ace. You tie AK, are dead against AA, and are ahead of AQ/J. Most players aren't going to give you this kind of action without at least TPTK, so I'd just call down the turn raise. I don't think 3-betting is horrible, but once you're capped again you have to check-call the river.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:22 PM

Fold preflop, you lost the hand.

In the future, please do not include results in hand history posts. Even though we are a virtuous bunch here, we cannot always resist the urge to check the results of the hand before providing our analysis. Knowledge of the result may bias our analysis to an overly aggressive line (if you won the hand) or an overly weak one (if you lost). Therefore, to get the best information, please refrain from including the results in the initial post.

If you are interested in comments on an entire hand that you played, post all of the action but leave the results out. If you are interested in a particular action that you took, include all the action up to that point (excluding the specific action you're interested in) and ask "What should I do here?"

Be sure to include any reads you have on your opponents in a hand post, as well as a general read on the table if you have one. Of course, feel free to include the results in a later post after you have received some responses on your play.

Thanks,
NoResults
Old 01-21-2005, 02:48 PM

Sample Size Man? Is that you?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:10 PM

I put the villian on suited aces as his preflop play wasn't so agressive but after seeing the flop he capped the betting. Either way, I would have merely called his turn raise and check/called the river as it seemed to me that he had at least two pair.

Now after reading the results it's a mystery to me why he'd cap the betting on the flop with a medium pair with a somewhat coordinated flop and an overcard showing. Definitely bad play on his part on the flop, but you could have saved yourself a few bets on the turn/river.