Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Your action?
Fold 4 12.12%
All-in 29 87.88%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Equitable FF Keeper League Question (next year\'s draft)

12 person keeper league, 13 roster spots, qb/2wr/2rb/fex/te/D/K.

We keep 3 players. Our first draft was serpentine.

Up for debate issue is whether the second season's draft should also be snake style or whether each team should have the same draft spot in each round (last place team always going first each round, etc).

Unfortunately, auctions are out of the question.

How much of an edge does one get keeping their top 3 players? How much of an edge is always picking first in a draft were 36 of the top players from the previous season are unavailable?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Equitable FF Keeper League Question (next year\'s draft)

[ QUOTE ]
How much of an edge is always picking first in a draft were 36 of the top players from the previous season are unavailable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Enormous
Old 12-14-2005, 08:25 PM

I think it should still be a snake draft however keeping 3 players in a 12 player league with 13 roster spots seems like a bit much. I think keeping 2 players would be a bit more fair and is more logical for the type of league you're in.

However, if this cannot be changed, I actually prefer drafting in the same spot for the whole draft. Your league won't last long if the good teams get to keep the best players for multiple years.

There has to be some balance here, and I think while using the "same spot" technique may give a greater advantage to the worser teams, using the snake draft and allowing 3 keepers won't keep this league competitive.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How much of an edge is always picking first in a draft were 36 of the top players from the previous season are unavailable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Enormous

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think this was very clear cut as well. But after being in a league where we merely kept TWO players, let alone three, I discovered that the lack of a snake draft didn't seem to make that much of a difference. There's enough randomness with the middle rounds that being able to pick early in the round does not outweigh the ability to draft well.

IMO.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Enormous

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not that significant. In my league with Clarkmeister, we use the non-snake draft. We have larger rosters and more keepres (5 on offense), though.

The four playoff teams this year drafted 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 8th (me). Two teams that just missed the playoffs drafted 4th and 10th.

Last year, the four playoff teams drafted 1st, 6th, 7th, and 11th. A team that just barely missed the playoffs drafted 9th (me).