Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Poker discourages me from staying in college

Hey everyone,
I'm a college student at a big university. I have a problem staying motivated for college/classes/homework/studying/etc. I also don't like the thought of working 40 hrs/week doing bitchwork for a big company for a bitch boss. The money I make from poker highly discourages me from doing all the bitchwork of college. How do you fellow college students and alumni stay motivated?
Thanks,
An0nYm0u5
Old 10-29-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Poker discourages me from staying in college

I love university, I love living with intelligent people my age, I love the stupid random stuff we do, I enjoy learning stuff and the intellectual stimulation of the work I do (even if I don't enjoy all the work all the time).

I basically just adore the way that college allows me to live right now and there's no way I'd change it for what I feel is the boring and depressing life of a poker pro even in the short term, though I'd be making much more cash.

Also there's all that stuff about the long term implications of poker vs getting a degree, poker and college not being mutually exclusive etc.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love university, I love living with intelligent people my age, I love the stupid random stuff we do, I enjoy learning stuff and the intellectual stimulation of the work I do (even if I don't enjoy all the work all the time).

I basically just adore the way that college allows me to live right now and there's no way I'd change it for what I feel is the boring and depressing life of a poker pro even in the short term, though I'd be making much more cash.

Also there's all that stuff about the long term implications of poker vs getting a degree, poker and college not being mutually exclusive etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%
Old 10-29-2005, 11:26 AM

Don't be a fool, stay in school
Old 10-29-2005, 11:36 AM

You should definitely stay in college and finish. Poker will always be there.

I wouldn't trade my college years for anything.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:47 AM

You know, I start feeling that way every now and then.....someone upstairs always makes sure the [censored] end of variance smacks me in the face at just that time. What limits do you play? A 100 BB swing at 5/10 will do something for your desire to have a low variance job.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:05 PM

Let's put this in a poker perspective...
You or someone paid for you to attend this university. Throwing that money away is -EV.
Tuition + room and board + perspective furture earnings = a lot of friggin' money. That's money spent then wasted and money lost.
In addition to that, you're not as good at poker as you think you are, and early on your expenses will surprise you vs the money intake from playing poker.
Right now do what you have to so later in life you can do what you want to. Quitting or not concentrating on school may turn out to be the biggest -EV move of your life.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:50 PM

I've actually always very firmly believed college is the key to life. However, for some people, I'm starting to wonder if their 100k+ a year made playing poker isn't a good reason to POSTPONE (not quit) college. Since the poker bubble is likely to only last so long, why not catch it while you can? if you can build up a half mill in a few years of playing poker while it's good and then return to college, what are you sacrificing?

Let's say you play for five years until poker dies out or you get sick of it or whatever. Assume: you are very good, and make 100,000$ per year average after taxes and expenses. You have one or two years to go on college.
-You have effectively postponed your professional life for 5 years
-you have a net worth of half a million dollars waiting for you which is a fantastic launching platform and provides all kinds of options in life. Even the interest on that is something fine.

So you finish college at age 27, let's say. It seems that unless you plan on doing a job which will be greatly advantageous to start early (or which will provide some sort of consistent, high salary growth), it might be worth it...

It's wierd to think this way. I know my assumptions are steep but there's people out there like that.

Check/expand/critisize my logic.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:17 PM

Do you think a 27 year old who is a consistent winner in poker and has a net worth of 1/2 million dollars is likely to go back to school to finish a degree they didn't like in the first place?

I don't like college, and I would much rather be playing poker than going to school. But I know it's now or never for me and I would much rather have a degree in a year and a half than not.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think a 27 year old who is a consistent winner in poker and has a net worth of 1/2 million dollars is likely to go back to school to finish a degree they didn't like in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought was that it isn't about liking or hating your degree, just about choosing the more advantageous option at the time. Also, you've gotta do something when the fish dry up and I feel like online poker will only last so long. Hence - get degree, get job.