Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Getting money out of the pot

Alright, before I get yelled at I know I just started and I need to log thousands of hands for anything to even matter.

I just started playing 3 days ago on the $25 NL tables buying in with $6 and following Millers small stack theory. So far I'm down over $60, probably more just not sure.

I can say from a limit players prespective, I was not ready to lose so fast. In limit I have had a few downswings, but for the most part consistantly win. From my very early impressions of NL, I'm not sure that I can consistantly pull in a profit, especially since I am getting kicked around at $25NL!!!! Should I hack it out and try to get better at NL or should I focus on becoming a better limit player and moving up limits as I am consistantly beating the game right now?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Getting money out of the pot

you buy in with 6$ and then push with any good hand you have??
Old 10-06-2005, 01:28 PM

we have no idea without you postin any relevant hands.

I think if you have the bankroll for 25s, you should continue playing 25s and do it with full stacks.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:32 PM

so pretty much u buy in wiht 6$ and youve lost 60$
so pretty much you've lost 10 coinflipS???
Old 10-06-2005, 01:32 PM

Well from reading GSIH... Ed suggest for beginers to buy in with a small stack of <= 25% of the max buy in, so that equates to $6.25. Then I follow his starting hand suggestions, which are ultra tight and when you get a hand your basically going all in on the flop. He says playing a large stack for a beginer is horrible and will only make things harder.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:33 PM

if you've been playing quite a bit of limit. 25s shouldn't be that hard for you.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well from reading GSIH... Ed suggest for beginers to buy in with a small stack of <= 25% of the max buy in, so that equates to $6.25. Then I follow his starting hand suggestions, which are ultra tight and when you get a hand your basically going all in on the flop. He says playing a large stack for a beginer is horrible and will only make things harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't
Old 10-06-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you've been playing quite a bit of limit. 25s shouldn't be that hard for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have win rates of +1.5-3.5BB at the various limit games I paly (.5/1-2/4 and 6 max at all). But most things are differnt in NL, starting hands, strategy, ect... I dont think the transistion in as easily as you may think, however its probably not as large as I think it is either.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

don't

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean playing a short stack or a large stack?
Old 10-06-2005, 02:02 PM

If you are decent at limit, the transition shouldn't be that hard. You just have to realize that you need to tighten up more upfront, play less draws unless you're playing against donks who will underbet the pot giving you great odds.

I think moving in PF is overrated (unless you're just going to do it with aces and kings).

I would recommend playing a full stack, play tight aggressive, play position and don't call down with 2nd pair and such like you might do at limit.