Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 04:57 PM

Default My last real Year of Poker

well, this is it folks.

from now until may 20, 2006 will be my last year as a semi-pro poker player. from then on i will travel for a month and then in june very likely (or maybe july) start my new life.

Friday August 26,2005 i called up an investment bank at which i interviewed this past may. the MD told me that he was happy to hear from me and was going to just "put something out there" for me and i should "take it however i want."

he proceeded totell me that i did great at the interview and that he would be extending a full time position offer to me in the near future.

so this is it. i have school this year and poker after studies and on weekends but then its the 70-90hr a week grind for the first year at a big name investment bank. my 1st or 2nd choice institution.

i can't express how good this feels. all my work up to this point is about to pay off. all my studying and writing papers for the department of labor and delving into finance and accounting seems to have been worth it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

im sure many of you dont care or whatever, but i just wanted to tell more people b/c the pressure of finding a job as a 2nd year MBA student is no more.

poker has been good to me...but this will be the last year i play it as often as i do now.

2p2 has been good to me as well and ive met a lot of great guys and learned a sh*tload. clearly im around for the next year but it kinda feels a bit like a premature goodbye...b/c the realization of the rest of my life is at hand.

thats it...just wanted to share my good news.

thanks for listening.

Barron
Old 08-27-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: My last real Year of Poker

congrats dude.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:59 PM

Congrats and if you could stop playing poker sooner, I think that would be even better.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:40 PM

70-90 hours a week?

Your work ethic sickens me.

But yet I respect you, in a begruding sort of way.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:42 PM

that clearly leaves a good 100 hours for poker a week [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
70-90 hours a week?

Your work ethic sickens me.

But yet I respect you, in a begruding sort of way.

[/ QUOTE ]

i always knew poker was transatory for me.

the 70-90 hrs a week is just for the first year or 2. then i work 7-4 mostly. within 5 years i'll likely be an MD myself w/ a small team and a nice paycheck.

i wil have a 1hr commute via train to and from NYcity b/c i'll live at home to save money for a while.

my job will be located near the old WTC site and when they rebuild the subways it'll be a touch shorter

but the best is that i will be saving that money.

-Barron
Old 08-27-2005, 08:06 PM

why not just live close to job, cut down 10 hours a week from commute and play poker. 40 hours of poker a month has got to be the smarter play?

Plus not living with folks/having a pimp crib has got to be huge +ev with all the hot golddiggers who'll now be gunning for you.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:25 PM

You are gonna be working on Wall or Broad or something as a first year I-banker and you're going to live an hour-plus commute away? That is crazy. If you want to save money, get a place in Battery Park City. BTW, which big name I-bank will be making you MD in 5 years? Are you coming in straight as VP rather than associate?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are gonna be working on Wall or Broad or something as a first year I-banker and you're going to live an hour-plus commute away? That is crazy. If you want to save money, get a place in Battery Park City. BTW, which big name I-bank will be making you MD in 5 years? Are you coming in straight as VP rather than associate?

[/ QUOTE ]

its a title thing. not the same MD level you're thinking of.

Barron
Old 08-27-2005, 09:10 PM

Congrats on your impending entry in the the wonderful world of work in general and IBanking specifically.

It's a very lucrative life, but one with amazingly long hours for a lot of years and little time for much of a life away from the job.

Enjoy it!