Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Was this preflop push with AK too agressive?

This was at a house game, so I have a pretty good read on a majority of my opponents.

Buyin was $30, we had 11 people, 4 who rebought at one point (we allowed rebuys during the first two blind levels), top 3 payout. Every starts the tournament with $30 in chips. I know it's kinda weird to do tournies with dollar values, but it's just hwo the guy that has it as his house likes to do it.

Anyway, at the point of the hand, I was right at the top of the pack with 10 people left in the game all seated at the same table.

Here is the hand:

Blinds are ($1/$2)

UTG Folds
UTG+1 Folds
Hero ($60 in chips) is dealt [A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]raises to $8
Folds to BB ($48 in chips) who re-raises to $18
Hero goes all-in

Now, the BB is a relatively loose player. He'll limp with any two cards 10 or above, most suited aces and suited connectors, raises with A+any card above 10, and nearly all pocket pairs. I put him on a hand anywhere from 9's-Q's, AK or AQ, and a slim chance he would've had KK. I know from the past, this guy likes to slow play AA, so I was relatively sure he didn't have that.

He ended up with JJ and won the race.

I talked to someone after the hand, and they think I shoulda called his re-raise and just seen the flop and gotten away if I didn't hit. I felt that was just too passive of a move. I thought I also might have had some fold equity since I put all the pressure on him to make the decision with a decent/good pocket pair, which gave me what I thought was a slightly better shot than a coin flip. Also, if I just pay to see the flop and don't hit, I don't get to see the turn and the river without paying a price, which I would get to see if all the money was already in.

I'm not the type who likes to race. I'm a very tight player, but I can accept the fact that to win most tournies, you need to win a race.

Just wondering what others would do facing the same situation.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Was this preflop push with AK too agressive?

After skimming through the sectino in Tournament Poker For Advanced Players by Sklanksy, it seems like it wasn't such a bad move. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:05 AM

You're out of position postflop, and your AK wants to see all 5 streets, I like the push.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:16 AM

Well he was the BB, so I would technically be in position, unless you consider him with the stronger position since he gets the first stab at the pot.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:27 AM

Anyone else?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:31 AM

I think what you did was bad. You have way to many big blinds to be pushing AK. Create a small pot, so that if you don't hit the flop, you can get away from the hand. You started this hand with 30bb, and whammo, now your out.
Shooby
Old 12-27-2005, 01:58 PM

Alright, well I don't see my mistake here in making the original raies to 8. It's a standard raise, 4x the BB. Now he re raised me to 10, already making the pot $30 which is half my stack.

So the pot is already big and there's nothing I can do about it. I didn't tell him to re raise, so I can't control the size of the pot. Unless you think I shoudl just limp behind him, but I think that would be a bad move. I dont' see who you can really say to make the pot small though with my stack.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:13 PM

With rebuys this is an easy push especially if you know he'll call with AQ - AT or lay down some smaller pairs giving you all that equity already in the pot.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:14 PM

Well unfortuantely this was after the rebuy period had ended.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:56 PM

Any other comments?