Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 01:16 AM

Default A weird AJ vs. Maniac hand

Villain has been keeping an eye on me and vice versa. He has been isolating weak limpers, opening too many pots in position and basically playing good poker (pre-flop that is). Post flop he underbets the pot when he's missed and likes to bet the turn (for the min!) w/ A high a lot. He's semi-donkish post flop. I have re-raised him twice w/ pos, once w/ AK and the other on a re-steal. Both times he folded and the second time he typed in something to the effect of "next time I push you around, blah blah blah." We are running the show here.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

UTG ($67.65)
UTG+1 ($42.85)
MP1 ($289.85)
MP2 ($28.45)
Hero ($129.10)
CO ($143.30)
Button ($77)
SB ($108.65)
BB ($38.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $4, CO calls $4, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $3.

Flop: ($17.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, CO folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls $17.

Turn: ($57.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero?

Discuss.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: A weird AJ vs. Maniac hand

That $3 bet is really weird. Does he do that and then call with a flush draw? A small pair? If he'll do that with a flush draw, you've got to pot the turn. If I would check on the turn and call a bet on the river. If he overbets the pot, then you might be in a tough spot.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:22 AM

Bet $45 on the turn and fold if he pushes back.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That $3 bet is really weird. Does he do that and then call with a flush draw? A small pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

First time I've seen him call a raise like this. Nobody else is playing back at him except me. I don't know if he's just making some sort of stand or I'm walking into a trap.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:47 PM

C'mon this hand was fun.

Throw me a bone.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:05 PM

My comments aren't entirely what you're looking for... but;

1) "We are running the show here" Strictly based on stack sizes, It looks like he is running the show?

2) What's with all these short stacks? almost half the players there are short. Ugg. Takes away a lot of implied odds play. Personally, I'd switch tables.

3) Regarding the hand. You call him a maniac but I don't know that you've given us enough info to qualify that. What is his range? Would he raise UTG+1 with J2 offsuit? How long ago did he say he was going to get you next time? Has he been folding more lately (waiting for a hand to stack you?)?

How often would he lead for $3? How often would he lead for $3 and call a potsized raise?

For MOST people in most situations, I would put him on a flush draw at worst. If he had an overpair, he most likely would have led for more then $3. Your worst case scenario is he's trapping with a set.

I would bet the turn.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:13 PM

Seems like an easy check vs. a maniac.

If unscary (non-diamond, non-str8) river, call whatever he bets. If scary river then you probably fold to a decent bet.

If he checks river again (unlikely), definitely value bet.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet $45 on the turn and fold if he pushes back.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think 45 is too much. 30 does the same thing
Old 12-02-2005, 08:28 PM

What a donkey...$3 flop bet after a $4 pre-flop raise. If this is his MO when he misses a flop then I would raise to about $40. If he is smarter than he looks and is trapping you, expect a reraise or a call and push on the river.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:38 PM

Oops, mis-read your post...I guess I would check after him since he smooth called your raise. If he checks again on river and it's not a scare card,prob pot sized bet.