Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Psychology of Losing

Interesting questions I would like to ask the people on this board, it has been on my mind.

Does your game change when your are behind in a session? say you are down 1 buy in? 2 buy ins? more? If so how does it change?

Do you think the way a person changes with adversity, either for the bad or good has anything to do with how they will do in the long run?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Psychology of Losing

I get louder (playing online). I tend to get a little more tight pf (dropping from ~22% to ~19%), but I'm not sure why. I find reason not to play hands I know are profitable (it's a high variance play, etc). The one thing I make sure I don't do is get less aggressive.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:21 PM

I always do better when I get to be short stack at the table. I don't know if my luck changes, or if it's a subconsious willpower, but I almost like being short chipped.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:25 PM

It definitely affects me...I tighten up alot...I mean ALOT!
It might have to do with a lack of experience...not as much time...not as many hands played as other aspiring pros...but I know its something that has to stop. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 11:27 PM

For the last month I have won the most I have ever won, the funniest thing is that I have started every day I have played by losing 1 to 2 buy ins. I cant remember a day this month when I didnt do this, I have won it all back and then some, I have realized after this that maybe im not as focused until I have lost 1 or 2 buy ins, then I really play my A game and crush the games I am playing at currently.

Seems to me that this is probably good for the long run as I noticed I am a better player for it. And I used to lose 1 to 2 buy ins at the start of the sessions, now I lose half to 1 buy ins before im focused, eventually itll be 0 hopefully or maybe ill start by winning right away and not have to wait till I have lost a bit, lol.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:15 AM

If you do not take the game seriously until you are down 1 or 2 buy-ins then you might want to consider moving up in limits if your BR is big enough to handle it

Assuming you are a winning player when playing at your best why would you want to start out in a hole every day?

PLay at a limit that is meaningful enough to get your full attention but won't bust you if you lose a few buy ins.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 PM

When I 1st start a session I tend to play extremely tight..then as I start to win I loosen up a bit and play a few more hands... If I start a session by losing a buy in or 2 I continue to play my normal game if it was because of some bad beats or I take a break and regroup if I feel I am playing badly or just being out played
Old 08-25-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the last month I have won the most I have ever won, the funniest thing is that I have started every day I have played by losing 1 to 2 buy ins. I cant remember a day this month when I didnt do this, I have won it all back and then some, I have realized after this that maybe im not as focused until I have lost 1 or 2 buy ins, then I really play my A game and crush the games I am playing at currently.

Seems to me that this is probably good for the long run as I noticed I am a better player for it. And I used to lose 1 to 2 buy ins at the start of the sessions, now I lose half to 1 buy ins before im focused, eventually itll be 0 hopefully or maybe ill start by winning right away and not have to wait till I have lost a bit, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making the mistake of attributing way too high a correlation between your short-term results and your play. This will drive you insane in a bad downswing.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're making the mistake of attributing way too high a correlation between your short-term results and your play. This will drive you insane in a bad downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying I shouldnt care about short term results and caring about short term results is what causes me to focus? Yeah I really should stop that, im trying, I no longer lose 1-2 buy ins, now I lose half to 1, almost got it down.

[ QUOTE ]
If you do not take the game seriously until you are down 1 or 2 buy-ins then you might want to consider moving up in limits if your BR is big enough to handle it

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the reason why im having a hard time playing holdem, I am kind of new to the game, I have only played in play chip tables before and tourneys, but not cash games, but the 25 NL(.15-.25) tables bore me too much, I cant stand playing them im used to 100 PL(.50-1) Omaha High Low, I want higher stakes to pay attention.

I think this is a problem, when I first started playing PL Omaha High, which was a new game to me somewhat as its similar to high low, I could not play the 25 PL(.15-.25) tables because the stakes bored me, so I quickly moved up to the 100(.50-1) tables without knowing much about the game I broke even for the first 4000 hands, but then I just got the hang of it and havent looked back since im getting close to 20k in hands and am a consistent winner.

I wonder should I do this with holdem? I have played 400 hours of play chip tables and a bunch of tourneys, so I know how to play at least ABC poker, you think this will cut it at the 100 NL(.50-1) level?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:31 PM

i think you should play whatever level you are comfortable with. even for a n00b the 400 max games on party and skins can easily be destroyed by solid agressive play. holla