Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Good play, bad call or bad play easy call? Live 10/20

Hey guys this is my first time posting here so forgive me if I am not quite up to par with the lingo yet.

I was in a live 10/20 game the other day, here's the hand .

I was in the CO with AJo. UTG Limps, 4 folds, call, raise, I call, button folds, SB folds BB calls UTG calls, Limper calls.

Flop comes Q,Q,8 rainbow

UTG bets, Limper calls, original rasier raises, I have a pretty good read on him and that he is not playing a Q that way so I go 3Bets. BB fold, UTG call, Limper fold, raiser calls. Turn is a rag, checked to me I bet UTG calls original raiser folds. River is a brick UTG checks I bet He calls and shows down 99.

After discussion I find out that Original raiser lays down AA and had showed his neighbor so his story checks out and the other limper in the pot had laid down 1010.

So my question is if those hands are laying down what is 99 still doing sticking around? Is it a bad play on my part, and a good call on UTG's part? Or did he just make a bad call to my good play?

Thanks for any input,
Old 06-13-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Good play, bad call or bad play easy call? Live 10/20

Fold preflop. Since you didn't do that you should fold on the flop.

Playing this way is going to get very expensive.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-13-2005, 01:38 PM

Your first lesson about posting is that it is very helpful for us to help you analyze your play if you include reads on individual players or the table as a whole. you mentioned that you read the original raiser for not having a Q, but what about the rest of the table? I like the play if you have maybe 2 opponents, but more than that and it seems like one of them will be fishy enough to look you up with any piece of the board. That is unless you have information that indicates otherwise. Oh yeah, and i fold that preflop for a raise, especially since the raiser had limpers in front, meaning that he's not on a steal and must have a pretty good hand. maybe i play tighter than most though.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was in the CO with AJo. UTG Limps, 4 folds, call, raise, I call, button folds, SB folds BB calls UTG calls, Limper calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of the cold call. If the raiser is tight in his raising standards I'd fold. Otherwise, take command and three-bet.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop comes Q,Q,8 rainbow

UTG bets, Limper calls, original rasier raises, I have a pretty good read on him and that he is not playing a Q that way so I go 3Bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this. I'd just fold. You're probably beat, could well be drawing dead and at best you're drawing to 6 outs. Its not just the queen you should be concerned about, but also the pocket pairs that are ahead of you. Plus other players quietly checking along always make me wary.

[ QUOTE ]

So my question is if those hands are laying down what is 99 still doing sticking around? Is it a bad play on my part, and a good call on UTG's part? Or did he just make a bad call to my good play?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a better player than they are? He has you tagged as a player who goes too far with his hands?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:46 PM

Usually fold preflop. The raiser was not the first one entering the pot and is more likely to have you dominated.

Your play is okay, except you are trying to bluff three people. You bluffed two out of three.

The caller probably thought you would slowplay trips, so I don't think his calldown was that bad. Afterall this is limit.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your play is okay, except you are trying to bluff three people. You bluffed two out of three.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Your play is pretty bad, except you are trying to bluff three people. You bluffed two out of three. "
Old 06-14-2005, 09:19 PM

I would agonize, but then likely fold pre-flop.