Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 04:29 AM

Default a strange hand indeed....

No reads...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($44.8)
BB ($77.05)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($99.7)</font>
MP ($43.85)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($100)</font>
Button ($98)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1. CO posts a blind of $2.
Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $5</font>, BB calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, CO calls $28, SB folds, BB folds.

I sensed weakness form everyone so I tried to take it down right there. He call's 30 cold! Lets see if I hit the flop.

Flop: ($72) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($76) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO pushes for $68 (All-In), Hero ???

NOW what do you put him on? Call or fold?
Old 01-09-2005, 09:35 PM

Default anyone n/m

anyone want to take a stab at this one?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Re: anyone n/m

Well, you give us no reads so it is a little difficult. But I'll say call and put him on AK or AQ. Aces wouldn't bet $2 on the flop, he'd assume you have KK or QQ and try to play for your stack.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: a strange hand indeed....

ok man I'll give ya my take.

AK is a raising hand. Limping raising is a losing proposition for sure. If you're going to limp, just call.

You said 'No Reads...' at the top of your post

The you write
[ QUOTE ]

I sensed weakness form everyone so I tried to take it down right there. He call's 30 cold! Lets see if I hit the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can certainly see the confusion this statement causes. You haven't been sitting long I take it.

You need to bet out post flop. You are screaming that you were on a steal preflop by checking.

Not the turn is an ace, obviously the only card in the deck you wanted to see. You check again. Why? Did you check w/ the intention of raising? If so why do you have to ask what to do? You called a miniscule postflop bet from your opponent to see a cheap turn. It is favorable. What tells you he has you beat now? Think the $2 bet means he has an 8?

You have no read on your opponent, he cold called a big raise. This could mean AK or AQ or any reasonable pocket pair. He could have KK, and when you check the turn he doesn't think you have an ace. What you do in this situation depends heavily on your read on your opponent, and what you believe him to be holding.

With no reads, I call on the principle that I probably have the best hand, and I will probably have the best hand 3 out of 4 times in this situation.

Keep in mind this is nothing more than an opinion. Others may disagree with calling all-in... I think most people would agree that you severely misplayed your hand preflop.

PG
Old 01-09-2005, 10:25 PM

I actually think the preflop play is OK if you will play it postflop like AA or KK. Since OP doesn't, I don't.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:47 PM

Call it. It is a bizarre situation, but you hit the card you wanted and now I think you have to call. I think you take it or it's a chop. Most likely the only winner on this one is Party Poker. I don't see you losing here; or I should say I don't think you are behind at this point in the hand. Go for it.

- ToT
Old 01-10-2005, 01:39 AM

I don't like CO springing to life on the turn. I think he called $30 with a pocket pair and now has at least a boat. I think his most likely hand is a bizarrely-played aces full of eights.

This guy seems like a complete moron, and I don't like calling complete morons who make tiny bets then huge ones.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:12 AM

I call here with no reads. You showed a lot of weakness when you just call the flop and when you check the turn, you're inducing a bluff from a lot of crazy players in these low-limit short-handed games.

As for preflop, I like limp-reraising with many hands, and it has been very profitable to do it in the right situation. Obviously, the guy who raised and called probably has a pocket pair or AK, but who knows at those games. Just call and expect to see some wacky crap. If he has AA or 77 or an 8, thems the breaks. You only need to win this 1 out of about 3.1 times to show a profit.