Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: $22: TT in early levels

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind getting callers when holding TT. Just play some poker on the flop.

I raise to t75 every single time. I don't play the 800 chip games anymore. Obviously it might change the correct play, and I guess this type of play is a matter of opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

My statements are based on 800 chip SNGs, and that is a very important part of the equation. You just don't have enough of a stack to "play poker on the flop" like you are suggesting. If you are going to give advice that isn't directly related to the OP's situation you need to say so in your answer.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:19 PM

Sure it's important. But If I think a given play can make me money, I make the play. The guide made by AleoMagus is fine, but it's very likely that it's not the most profitable way to play.

Just keep limping. Honestly I don't care. I gave my advice with the best thoughts.

And 800 chips is enough to play poker.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I gave my advice with the best thoughts.

And 800 chips is enough to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't said anything to justify this. You've only said "this is what I do".

I'm not saying "limp because Aleo's guide say's limp". I'm saying limp for the reasons I gave. You haven't given any explanations at all.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:28 PM

ok.

I raise TT because I'm only beat by JJ-AA. Most likely these 4 hands are not dealt. I protect my hand by raising. If ppl call with overs I'm ahead on most flops. And I like to play bigger pots when I'm ahead.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I protect my hand by raising. If ppl call with overs I'm ahead on most flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this is wrong. If you raise medium, say 50ish, you will get called by all kinds of J/Q/K/A hands (IF you are playing a low buy-in at Party. I acknowledge that this is not true at higher buy-ins or at other sites). ~70% of flops will have overcards. You will be facing so many opponents that it is very likely that at least one of them will have you beat. The only way you are good is if you flop a T with the over cards. You didn't need to raise preflop to get this set value.

If you raise more, say 75-100, you may be able to knock down the number of callers to where you will be ahead on most flops. If that's the case, what are you doing? Betting out? Villain will just fold. Giving free cards? Not such a good idea.

The only value you ADD to the set value by showing strength preflop is the value of stealing the pot on the flop when villain misses. If it was worth raising TT to add that value, then if would be worth raising 57o, 92s, etc.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:46 PM

Raising to 50ish is not medium. It's too small. I raise to t75 with all my raising hands: TT+, AK.

And you talk about extra value from the ability to steal on the flop? I like the idea of knowing whether the 2+2'er in the blinds could have 65o or not.

And please don't even think of comparing TT with 92s.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And you talk about extra value from the ability to steal on the flop? I like the idea of knowing whether the 2+2'er in the blinds could have 65o or not.

And please don't even think of comparing TT with 92s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I surrender. The first of these two statements makes no sense, and the second indicates that you didn't understand my post.

Thanks for playing.