Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Delgado to Mets

Great call. Though I'm sure he'll have his 2 cents when he sees this thread. I think the day before thanksgiving is a half-day for high school kids so we probably have an hour or so [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
JK Jack! Love to hear your thoughts on this!
-James
Old 11-23-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we'll be looking at a very realistic World Series contender next year(especially if Beltran wakes up).
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy there. How's that starting rotation looking?
Old 11-23-2005, 01:27 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

I don't question that the Mets are an immediately better team. I just have questions that they needed to include such highly regarded prospects to accomodate someone else's salary dump. They seem to have, once again, outbid themselves.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:32 PM

The two deals are now:

Cameron + Jacobs + Yusmeiro Petit = Delgado + Xavier Nady - $4M

Huh. Well, this deal is a bit of a gamble for the Mets. Gamble that Delgado's still one of the best hitters in the world, gamble that Jacobs isn't really anything, and gamble that There's No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect.

I like it for both teams. The Marlins really know how to hold a firesale, don't they? And the Mets needed a big bat more than anything. Delgado could Thome though. It's unlikely, but big 33 year old 1B aren't exactly immune to sudden collapses.

The Marlins get the better end of this deal, but what does Minaya care? He's got his big bat, it's a good deal for him too.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:33 PM

lol, I'm a sophomore in college
Old 11-23-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we'll be looking at a very realistic World Series contender next year(especially if Beltran wakes up).
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A year older, but not bad at all. Pedro, Seo under 3 ERA, glavine under 4, benson and V Zambrano around 4.1. Trachsel will be here for the whole year as well, so you won't see them trotting out Kaz Ishii and his ilk. Mets were among the best in the league in starting pitching last year as well, the biggest concerns were in the pen.

The Mets were a realistic contender last year - their pythagorean record was better than the white sox(2nd hand information from my little brother, but I believ ehim to be correct). Realistic contender doesn't mean they are a lock by any means. Just expect them to be much better than last year when they were already a well above average team.
-James
Old 11-23-2005, 01:53 PM

How much of that had to do with Mike Cameron patrolling right field? His absence will hurt.

Also, the Mets Pythag (89 wins) was worse than Chicago's (91 wins).
Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much of that had to do with Mike Cameron patrolling right field? His absence will hurt.

Also, the Mets Pythag (89 wins) was worse than Chicago's (91 wins).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, he had Mets at 89 Sox at 87. Strange.

As far as Cameron goes, his absence will hurt, but he played less than half the season last year. I can't say I understand the Nady/Cameron trade at all - since it made way more sense when they didn't have a 1b, and Diaz was better than Nady last season, but we'll see. Either way, it's impossible to say that this isn't a huge upgrade for the Mets. And with Wagner looming, the Mets could be much more formiddable next season.
-James
Old 11-23-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good? Pedro, Benson, Glavine, Seo, Zambrano seems pretty good to me overall.

Don't dismiss Jacobs as a flash in the pan though, he had some excellent minor league seasons too, and his batting average was headed back up by the end of the year.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good? Pedro, Benson, Glavine, Seo, Zambrano seems pretty good to me overall.

Don't dismiss Jacobs as a flash in the pan though, he had some excellent minor league seasons too, and his batting average was headed back up by the end of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not dismissing him. He seems like a great talent and was awesome 2? years ago in the minors. Delgado is a special player though, the type that you can't project Jacobs turning into because of a few good years in the minors and a nice little run when he hit the bigs.
-James