Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: why WSOP main event only 10K?

If the WSOP main event is a lottery, it's the most +EV lottery in the history of the world for a skilled player. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, but who's the donkey? The guy w/ nothing to lose calling all in w/ K9o or the pro dumb enough to go all in during the first level of play sitting at a table knowing he's the best player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in this case the pro had aces, since when is it bad to get all your money in with aces pre-flop? I don't care how much better you think you are then the field you still need to accumulate a large stack to make it deep in these events.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this would really keep it to what it should be "the biggest and most prestigous tourney in the world"

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear people say this a lot. But I don't see how it is losing ground as the biggest and most prestigous. If it's losing ground, what tournament is taking its place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing is even remotely close to the WSOP main event.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would make an arguement for the WPT Championship being nearly as prestigous and certainly getting closer and closer to that position. With 6000-10000 people in the ME, the WSOP is getting to be little more than a cattle call for Internet players. The WPT has it's share of fish and wannabes but the majority of players are still pros (or a mix of pros and skilled amatuers).
Old 10-28-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would make an arguement for the WPT Championship being nearly as prestigous and certainly getting closer and closer to that position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your arguement would be very weak.

Compare the name of Chirs Moneymaker to Alan Goehring Compare the name of Greg Raymer to Martin de Knijff.
The prestige of the tournaments they won are the reasons two of them have far greater name recognition.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A month of 1.5k hold'em events followed by a 10k 6,500 entry main event hardly proves who's the best poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

And who ever said it was supposed to prove who's the best poker player?

No single event could ever do that, anyway, unless it was years long.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt they will ever get as many people as last year. Though I agree bumping it to narrow the field a good idea but not a must.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are planning for 8000 next year.

They will have days 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, then 2A and 2B before the whole field is combined on day 3 (which will really be day seven)
Old 10-28-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, but who's the donkey? The guy w/ nothing to lose calling all in w/ K9o or the pro dumb enough to go all in during the first level of play sitting at a table knowing he's the best player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in this case the pro had aces, since when is it bad to get all your money in with aces pre-flop? I don't care how much better you think you are then the field you still need to accumulate a large stack to make it deep in these events.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh OK, I thought you were talking about in general not a specific hand. I thought you meant the pro sensed weakness and moved all in.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe even 50K?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like 50k. I personally don't like what the ME has turned into. It's a circus now. Rarely seeing more than 2 great players at a single table isn't what I would consider the greatest tournament in the world. Up it to 50k, weed out the idiots and let the good and great players duke it out. Winning that is an accomplishment, not a lottery.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh OK, I thought you were talking about in general not a specific hand. I thought you meant the pro sensed weakness and moved all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand was with Ferguson. Jesus moved all-in and the other guy says, "screw it I only payed 215 to get here I call". Flop came something like K-9-4 and the guy went crazy high fiving everyone. Turn was a Q river was a 4. It was hilarious cause the guy started shouting before he realized that he just got counterfeited.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
maybe even 50K?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like 50k. I personally don't like what the ME has turned into. It's a circus now. Rarely seeing more than 2 great players at a single table isn't what I would consider the greatest tournament in the world. Up it to 50k, weed out the idiots and let the good and great players duke it out. Winning that is an accomplishment, not a lottery.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that it's a "circus" is what keeps new people coming in