Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: JJ hand that got ugly

[ QUOTE ]
If I did call the turn, can I then call the river for the size of the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 09-27-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, I was just questioning the logic behind raising the turn then folding the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea would be that if the villian still thinks he has the best hand on the river after all of the aggression shown by hero with a king and queen on the board, he probably does. And BB cold calling 2 on the turn when an overcard falls does not bode well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally my turn line would have been (in order of preference and I may be weak)

1: Fold
2: Call
3: Raise

If I did call the turn, can I then call the river for the size of the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps my turn raise was incorrect. I really just wanted to see how much UTG+1 liked his hand and get the other player to fold as well. Having failed to do either of these I could not see how I would be dragging this pot unless I spiked a Jack on the river.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:21 PM

I appreciate all the responses and input. This was the first hand I've ever posted on 2+2

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 8d 5d (one pair, eights).
UTG+1 has 6c 7d (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: BB wins 15.75 BB.

MHWG

Needless to say I'm still sitting at this table.

</font>
Old 09-27-2005, 03:27 PM

nh. i like it all. that donkbet is junk here. a Q is check raising, smaller pairs will bluff as well as a lot of draws. that river is a terrible card and getting donked into is never good w/o reads. well played.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:35 PM

I like the way it was played up to the fold. I think you have to call. I would have expected trips to raise on the turn and river no matter how passive they are. I would expect to see a flush that hung on with over cards or small pair. The thing is, I think you have to call because I see so many small pocket pairs call to the river. You are not likely to win but I think you would win enough that it is marginally worth it.

Now that you have read my opinion, let me discount it by saying that I play mostly .25 / .50 at full tilt.

McHonts
Old 09-27-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the way it was played up to the fold. I think you have to call. I would have expected trips to raise on the turn and river no matter how passive they are. I would expect to see a flush that hung on with over cards or small pair. The thing is, I think you have to call because I see so many small pocket pairs call to the river. You are not likely to win but I think you would win enough that it is marginally worth it.

Now that you have read my opinion, let me discount it by saying that I play mostly .25 / .50 at full tilt.

McHonts

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually agree with you. I was kicking myself after I folded and saw that my hand was good. The pot was big enough that one more big bet shouldn't have been a problem. Especially with how aggresive I played it.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually agree with you. I was kicking myself after I folded and saw that my hand was good. The pot was big enough that one more big bet shouldn't have been a problem. Especially with how aggresive I played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your fold was good, kicking yourself is just being results oriented. Seeing the results of the hand should change how you play against these opponents in the future, but your read here that you were beaten was correct in my opinion.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:50 PM

You're right. I really thought I was beat. But would it have been so bad to call? Do I win enough there to make it +EV? Probably not, but hard to say.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:05 PM

the fold is fine. to consider else would be result-oriented unless a better read is provided. the great play was the turn raise. his donkbet into you AGAIN on the river indicates "my turn bet wasn't full of bull" or "hey my semi-bluff on the turn just came in- SWEET". laying down the best hand at times is another part of poker just like calling this river and being shown a flush or rivered 2 pair would be.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:08 PM

I don't like the turn raise... why are we raising it again?