Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Advice for draw poker online?

If you strongly suspected that he was steaming then you would have done better to let him bluff after the draw. I find a lot of your edge against decent players in this game comes from picking off bluffs in the right spots.

Also don't underestimate the value of drawing to fill up, you'll hit less than 10% but when you do you'll win a pot of 6 bets (8 bets for fishier players).

Standing pat like you did isn't necessarily a bad strategy, it depends on how likely you judge him to be bluffing. My calculation on the back of a napkin suggests that if he's bluffing an eighth of the time or less you do best to draw and fold if you miss. If he's bluffing a third of the time or more, you do best to draw and call if you miss. Standing pat does best in that in between region.

This assumes he will never continue the bluff if you stand pat, which may be true for Rolleddd but certainly not for all steamers. So generally if you're worried about a bluff, especially if standing pat wont always stop them, you won't go too wrong by simply drawing and making a decision between calling and folding when you dont improve.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:22 PM

Awesome response! I wish there were more draw discussion like this on 2+2 (or anywhere for that matter).
Old 03-08-2005, 07:13 PM

I was thinking of starting to play on Paradise actually, just for the draw. I was thinking though that if we got enough people we might be able to request some new structures, like antes w/ J's or better, or just something bigger than 5 handed. It seems like they have a decent enough draw following at that site to have them add something to it.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking of starting to play on Paradise actually, just for the draw. I was thinking though that if we got enough people we might be able to request some new structures, like antes w/ J's or better, or just something bigger than 5 handed. It seems like they have a decent enough draw following at that site to have them add something to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

While we're fantasizing I wish Paradise would spread 2-7 single draw (no limit). That'd be the day though.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:03 PM

I love the Paradise structure and hope they never change it. More than fivehanded and it becomes very boring (go to Planet if you want that). And why would you want jacks-or-better? I want the bad, and even some fair players (like ROLLEDDD), to limp in with their pair of fives... Or a straight draw. Or the loose aggressives to open raise with every draw they have and bluff. Stop wishing for that stuff to go away! Go ask Planet for it. And if you want pot limit, go to the B2B network.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:26 PM

Who wouldn't want to see other games get spread? I wish some cardroom would just suck it up and offer just about every game ever spread. It would be great. I am one of those people that likes to play and be proficient at every game. I think Jack's or Better is a much better version of draw. I like playing with the bug, and a full table, and the fact that you can play all the ranges of hands, instead of just waiting for high pairs and open raising. That five handed table is of course very good, and I like the idea also, but I think if Paradise spread alot of different structures (Lowball too) it would be way better. Maybe if they starting spreading Jacks or Better some of the old time Gardena pros would show up to play. It would be hilarious to see Caro sit down at one of those tables.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4) This is one of the few 2+2 books I don't have. If you can find an out-of-print copy, An Encyclopedia of Draw Poker by James Anno is the best I've ever seen. Please note that this and other books don't give as much pot-limit advice as for limit, and that in the 6-max format on 24h it is rarely correct to open/limp under the gun and false-carding is a critical skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found a copy of this via an online used book seller. It lists the publisher, however, as "An Exposition Banner Book." Is this an error or is it a different book? I've never seen this on any list of 2+2 books. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:10 AM

The 2+2 book he's referring to is "Winning concepts for Draw and Lowball." See the post he was replying to.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 2+2 book he's referring to is "Winning concepts for Draw and Lowball." See the post he was replying to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh. I understand now. My apologies.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:57 PM

Scubes: Good points about the hand. That was more or less the same as I thought about the situation, although you said it better than i would. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So.. I have been playing every now and then at Paradise 1/2 draw and I like it. I am a little ahead, but the variance seems pretty high, so I don't really know if I am "beating the game" or not.

I do not think I play very well, but the games are quite soft at the 1/2 limit, so I'm better than most others.

Zadeh's and Wiesenberg's books are on their way from Gambler's Bookclub and I'm looking forward to improving my game. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I hope to be part of the discussions on high draw (should there be any) once I have learned the game a little better. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]