Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 05:50 PM

Default $50 bankroll question

I play on pokerstars and have exactly $50. Which games (SNGs) do you think are best to play to build my bankroll with. $1 +.20 (45 ppl) $1.75+.25 turbo (18 ppl) $5 single table or $6 turbo single table games?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this so if not please tell me where.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: $50 bankroll question

Well, when I just had $50 i played $10NL Hold'em tables. And you might want to try the $10 PLO8 tables too, some easy money there [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, when I just had $50 i played $10NL Hold'em tables. And you might want to try the $10 PLO8 tables too, some easy money there [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not good advise at all. You got lucky.

To the OP: When I had a $50 roll I built it up playing the nanolimit hold em games. I would advise you grind it out there. I would also read this post: MrWookie's bankroll building guide. It is the new industry standard.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:05 AM

Um... how about some bonus whoring at other sites to build the bankroll, then come back with a few hundred, and more room for error? I feel like your BR may be too small that it will change your game into playing too weak for fear of busting out.

If bonus whoring is not a possibility, you might have to go to nano-limits.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um... how about some bonus whoring at other sites to build the bankroll

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Whoring even possible with $50?

Go to PokerStars and grind out the micro-limits. The .02/.04 LHE or the .01/.02 NLHE tables are great for building a bankroll from scratch. I started with $50 on Stars a few weeks ago and I'm up to $80. Yeah, it's a slow grind, and you won't be buying a plasma with your winnings any time soon, but your risk of ruin is practically non-existant. Just play smart and be patient.

JunkHead
Old 11-08-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started with $50 on Stars a few weeks ago and I'm up to $80. Yeah, it's a slow grind, and you won't be buying a plasma with your winnings any time soon, but your risk of ruin is practically non-existant. Just play smart and be patient.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like how I started out too. Now I've never managed to get a plasma screen, but I did take my wife to San Francisco with poker money this past summer.

So yeah, it can be done! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 02:55 PM

Playing nanolimit is a great way to learn solid poker.
I'm still learning, everyday, but atleast I've build a roll of $600 learning.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing nanolimit is a great way to learn solid poker.
I'm still learning, everyday, but atleast I've build a roll of $600 learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. It's best to learn lessons while losing $.50 a hand, vice $25 a hand. With $50, I'd start out at .05/.10, get comfortable, learn, move up slightly.

Occasionally take a shot at .25/.50. However, you can still dump $20 in a bad .25/.50 session.

The problem with SnG's is that you can play awesome and still get taken out by some donk and finish just out of the cash. I placed 1/2 in 7 straight, then went on a streak of 10 out of the cash. I still occasionally play a SnG, but I'm just a better cash/ring game player.

Why is everyone in a rush to get to 20/40?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:17 PM

I have a $50 Bankroll(almost $60 in 9hrs of playing time) and am playing .05/.10 LHE at pokerstars. How big should I get my bank roll before I consider moving up to .10/.20? I also like to play NLHE, but haven't, yet. Should I mix it up or stay with LHE? Should I stay away from sng's and tourney's for a while?

Thanks
Bill
Old 11-19-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone in a rush to get to 20/40?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'd rather earn enough at the table to live off of rather than maybe on a good day earning enough to tip the dealers and put a few bucks toward gas?

But I agree that working one's way up patiently is worth the effort. Hell, I got depressed yesterday because the back of GSiH says Ed Miller worked his way from beginner to pro in 1.5 years. I've been at it that long and don't have the roll to go above $2/4 live and maybe $1/2 when I feel brave online.

I'm certainly hoping Ed devoted more hours per week as a beginner than I've succeeded in doing!