Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-19-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Good Question For Catholics and Others

David, who cares if the Pope is a liar? Let's say he pulled a fast one on us all, does that in any way take away from the integrity(or lack thereof) of the Bible or any Christian precepts? No. And aside from the question being totally irrelevant, there isnt even enough information given about your hypothetical events for us to even speculate.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> The analogy isn't quite right. It's more like giving a child a swiss army knife which they then use to kill people. </font>

I knew someone would bring this up. Still, if you give a kid who's too young a chemistry set. You shouldn't be surprised if someone gets hurt.

<font color="blue"> Plus, God didn't give us the gift of reason. Humans got reason by disobeying God and eating from the forbidden tree. </font>

Do you REALLY believe this? Then how did Eve <u>reason</u> with Adam and get him to eat from the forbidden tree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Real quick here, if Adam and Eve got the ability to reason from eating the fruit, then Eve would be persuading Adam after eating the fruit herself.

But I disagree with the "reason" explanation. Genesis states that the tree gave the "Knowledge of Good and Evil", and said nothing about reason. So eating the fruit gave Adam and Eve the knowledge of right and wrong, not reason.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the prior probability of said miracle?

[/ QUOTE ]
Much lower than the prior probability that a Pope would lie.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've read some ludicrous statements on 2+2 before. But this is one is tops. I tip my hat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must really trust the Pope a lot.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:56 PM

id have to compare pot odds to price of a call.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:45 PM

Isnt the creation of life the very center of religon. If we found out how life was created all questions would be answered. it would either be divine or not. how can u not say that it wouldnt shake the believers. if God came down and swooped me down to hell and said this is your faith if you dont start believing. shoots id go and buy a whole goat farm and start sacrificing nite and day.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With time being merely our way of reducing space-time into something meaningful to us, it's hard to see why space-time itself, in however many dimensions it ends up existing needs to be restricted by our before-after thinking about one aspect of it that we concocted

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called Time's Arrow, and its not concocted. Ask Stephen Hawking if you don't believe me.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:06 AM

Even so, that would do nothing to deter the uncaused cause. It just adds links in the chain.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's called Time's Arrow, and its not concocted. Ask Stephen Hawking if you don't believe me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hawkings introduced me to positivism, so he's not your man to try and bolster any claim about what is actually going on out there. Here's one of many of his comments -
"...and what we call real &lt;time&gt; is just an idea we invent to help us desribe what we think the universe is like."

luckyme
Old 12-20-2005, 04:16 AM

Try this then. It is a truly excellent book.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even so, that would do nothing to deter the uncaused cause. It just adds links in the chain.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I can tell, there is no inherent contradiction between the big bang and the idea that God created the universe out of nothing. If I understand the theory correctly, at the moment of the big bang the universe was infinitely small. There is no discernible difference between that and "nothing", is there?