Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Overplayed AK Heads Up?

Reads: villain is is 18/13 over 50 hands, but this was a fairly loose table and was playing pretty TAG while I was at the table. Also one BB poster in MP3.

Not sure if I like my line here, plus I am on a nice 100BB downswing after I just moved up in levels, so I dont know if I am just applying lower level thinking to this hand...

This is my first hand posting, so if I miss something feel free to flame away as well.

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Overplayed AK Heads Up?

I prefer calling down.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reads: villain is is 18/13 over 50 hands, but this was a fairly loose table and was playing pretty TAG while I was at the table. Also one BB poster in MP3.

Not sure if I like my line here, plus I am on a nice 100BB downswing after I just moved up in levels, so I dont know if I am just applying lower level thinking to this hand...

This is my first hand posting, so if I miss something feel free to flame away as well.

Party Poker 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn raise is Fancy Play Syndrome, unless you have a solid read that this guy has an ace high and will fold it. Call down.

He did cap preflop, so if he is a TAG then at best we are chopping this pot. 50 hands is a tiny sample size, though.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:38 AM

I think ur usually behind when someone UTG raises and u isolate with AK and dont connect with the flop. Which is why i dont like the turn raise that much. Trying not to be results oriented though, u did buy urself a free showdown by the raise.

u got to the showdown for the same price as calling down and u gave villian a chance to release on the turn which would nt have come if u just called down.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:53 AM

what was your plan if the turn got 3-bet?
Old 09-24-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta be call, fold the river UI.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta be call, fold the river UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta be fold. If the turn is 3-bet, Hero is drawing to at best 3 outs, probably zero. QQ isn't going to 3-bet there, unless Hero has been donking it up something fierce.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:24 PM

I think I had played 3 out of ~40 hands at this point all in the blinds, so he knew if I raised I probably had something.

If I was 3-bet into on the turn this would have been an easy fold though.

One other question, if that turn is a second spade would I fold/call/raise the turn?

Thanks to everyone for the input.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:32 PM

I don't like the turn raise at all.

If he has a normal TAG then his cap range preflop is gonna be AA, KK, QQ, AK and maybe JJ b/c HU.

You are not folding any of these except maybe AK and if you do not fold then you are chopping at best.

I think my line would be call, call, fold. Do you really think he bets AK here on the river? I'm c/c this myself so I think with my line you can fold to the river bet or chck behind and split (you can maybe bet this river, but I don't think he is folding AK here).
Old 09-24-2005, 02:35 PM

If the turn is a spade then a raise is not that bad of a move, but I still think I'm still just calling the turn. You still are not folding enough hands and he will still bet into you if a spade hits on the river so you can raise him then and he will still call wit hthe same range of hands but this time you win [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]