Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Live Long Enough to Live Forever

I havent read the book, so I cant be to critical, but Im very "meh" about it just from the blurbs in your blog. I get annoyed when books of this nature try and make claims sound bigger than they are, especially when its obviously a good claim anyway. Like the whole "a centruy ago life expectancy was 40 years, and its almost doubled since then". uhm, no it wasnt. Life expectancy was over 50 a century ago and its only gone up a a little more than 50% since then, you can find that out easily on-line. Why stretch the truth to make it sound better, when the cocnept is still very real and worth mentioning (the fact that there has been a huge jump in the last century), just makes me call into question everything else they would have to say.

bottom line is still the same tho, nutrition is incredibly important. There have been tons of studies that show that a low calorie diet will add many years to your life. Thats well and good, but Ill take 10 years less to my life to be able to do the things I enjoy doing and make me feel alive, rather than sacrifice all that so I can be around this planet a little longer. I eat healthy and I exercise, and thats better than not, and thats good enough for me.

I do believe tho that some day sience will have a "cure" for death, and that barring some accident we will all have the potential to actually live for ever (I actually think its a no brainer that this will happen given that we keep progressing in sceince the way we are). The world will be an interesting place when that happens, as all sorts of interesting things come into play then. Ill be dead by then tho [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 01:57 PM

I'm not obesse.
But I have gained more weight this year than and single year since I was 17. But how could you know that?

Are you stalking me?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:31 PM

Didn't read all the replies, but from what you wrote in your blog I gather it has some good diet advice. The changes you made to your lifestyle all look good, but are the kind of changes found in hundreds of diet books and magazines. As far as increasing life expectancy and living to 200-300, that is not going to happen. Medical technology is rapidly advancing, but breakthroughs that will allow for living this long may never come. The human body isn't meant to live that long, as one poster pointed out the average life expectantcy has increased, but maximum life span has only increased slightly. If this medical technology does come we will all be very old and unlikely to gain the real benefits from them, as our bodies will have already degraded extensively.

One thing that really stuck out was in your journal article you mentioned something like "many diseases are curable by basic vitamins, but pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know about them" (not an exact quote). This is utterly ridiculous and in the same league as accusing Part Poker of being rigged. The medical proffession does spend a large amount of time focusing on diet and nutrition (look at diabetes, crohn's disease just to name two that come to mind). The medical industry may focus a lot more on drugs and downplay nutrition but popping some vitamins is definitely not going to cure these or any other disease.

In summary it looks like a healthy living book with some sci-fi hooie put in for excitement. I haven't read it so I can't say for sure, but I think it grossly overestimates the effects of medical technology from what I have read on your journal article.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: The title of this post

ZeeJustin,

Have you seen the movie Highlander? Living forever has its downsides as well, largely emotional in nature.

There can only be one,
El Diablo
Old 12-01-2005, 03:36 PM

man this thread sux.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:53 PM

Diablo,

What do you make of the fact that there were often 5 or 6?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:56 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I always thought the main thing that limits our life expectancy is simply the fact that we breathe and live in an ogygen rich environment. Oxygen is fairly corrosive and causes our bodies to deteriorate at a faster rate than they would in other elements. I think I remember reading somewhere that if we breathed helium instead of oxyen, our average life expectancy would be about 250 years.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:01 PM

Shajen,

There can only be one in the end. They start out with a lot and fight until there is only one, who gets The Prize.

Have a good lunch,
El Diablo
Old 12-01-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I remember reading somewhere that if we breathed helium instead of oxyen, our average life expectancy would be about 250 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we would sound like chipmunks when talking.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I remember reading somewhere that if we breathed helium instead of oxyen, our average life expectancy would be about 250 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we would sound like chipmunks when talking.

[/ QUOTE ]

plus there's no way a biology could have evolved or even started that could be based on an inert gas. Or maybe I'm being Mr Picky.