Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Call Happy...Tell Me to Stop

I make this play WAY to often, its my only noticeable leak right now but its a bad one. I can't help calling checkminraises even though I tell myself to fold as I am calling. I coax myself into calling saying "He's a donk I could have him by kicker, I am getting good pot odds on a call any way and the implied odds are ridiculous if I hit"

This hand does not help:
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

UTG+1 ($28.45)
MP1 ($29.45)
Hero ($35.10)
CO ($21.50)
Button ($101.03)
SB ($32.97)
BB ($24.55)
UTG ($22.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $0.90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($2.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($10.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB calls $27.97 (All-In), Hero calls $27.97.

River: ($66.19) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $66.19

I convince myself into calling thinking I am getting 4-1 on my money and he either has 9/10 or TPGK since I have been continue betting. To help me fix this can someone please tell me:
1. A donk will almost NEVER check minraise
2. what are my odds of hitting my other card or seeing runner runner flush (I know they are not good but would help if I had the actual number figure)
3. This is bad poker, dump these hands and you'll save money
Old 07-16-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Call Happy...Tell Me to Stop

I could tell you the odds to hit a 5 outer on the next card, but it doesnt matter. When someone check raises the minimum on the flop in a raised pot, it very very often means they have a set.

Its tough for most people to fold something like AA/KK in that spot, but you should get rid of AT like a hot rock.

Raising AT is pretty marginal also.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:21 PM

the A10 move is not one I normally make. however the people to act behind me were TP-A and weak tight, and the blinds were poor players that would call with a dominated ace even to that raise, fold a bad hand, or make a big reraise with 2 face cards. Thats totally table dependent, but moving on... Call it a hunch, but I had a strong read villain did not have a set. My A10 won here, and if it missed the turn I was folding it, but I don't want to get into result oriented thinking because I KNOW this isn't a good play calling.

I really do need some kind of percentage number tho, small as it would be so I could say each time I am getting 4:1 on my money on a 10-1 shot and easily fold (easy as the fold should be already)
Old 07-16-2005, 09:27 PM

ok, its about 8 1/2:1 to a 5 outer on the next card.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:24 PM

im not gonna get into specifics, but i will say that even though a set is a very legit fear here, i would be hard pressed to fold your hand after the turn hit
Old 07-18-2005, 12:48 AM

I don't usually call or raise w/ ATo in that seat. There's still too many people left to act. I have trouble folding to the min c/r in that spot too, but I think it is the correct thing to do. Once you hit on the turn though I think you probably go to the felt. I mean if you know you are drawing to your ace why would you fold when you hit it?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:03 AM

this isn't that bad.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:16 AM

This hand is ok. Its 8 handed so I dont think the raise is bad at all, with only 2 people to act behind you plus the blinds. I know some may see it differently. I wouldve called the check raise and after the turn, I dont see that you had much choice really.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:33 AM

The flop call seems fine to me - SB could easily be trying to pick off a continuation bet on the flop that looks bad for the preflop raiser. Flat call seems good here.

Turn call seems marginal. Show of strength shows that we were probably behind on the flop.