Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Why do you play no-limit? Why do you play limit?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some choose the no-limit route, some choose the limit route? Some may dabble in both. What are your reasons?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I can't stomach throwing 30BB into a pot and losing to a 2 outer. Thus, I play limit.
2) I can push marginal hands in limit without being force to fold a huge bluff. The highs and lows of limit seem much less extreme.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are common reasons for people not playing no-limit, and they both stem from the same cause: not being adequately bankrolled. If you're playing $25 NL w/ a $200 bankroll, losing your stack can be traumatic; if the bankroll is $1000, it's no big deal. Just a part of the game.

Why do I play No-Limit?

1. Limit bores me.

2. I enjoy the freedom of setting pot odds.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:40 PM

Personally, I play limit because I have more talent in it. Limit is more about making tons of marginal decisions to try to get an edge, without any single decision being very +EV or -EV (compared to facing a push in NL). It suits me fine.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:26 PM

I mainly play limit. I originally chose it because there's less danger of losing my money too fast. The swings in no-limit can be gut-wrenching. Plus, I like the strategy and math requirements of playing limit poker where you just can't bet a bunch and push your opponents out.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limit has higher variance- meaning you can win or lose more money than no-limit. luck is a greater factor in individual sessions than no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really true? I'm a noob limit player but over the past year of my poker existance I've always heard it was the other way around.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
limit has higher variance- meaning you can win or lose more money than no-limit. luck is a greater factor in individual sessions than no limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that really true? I'm a noob limit player but over the past year of my poker existance I've always heard it was the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you play no limit well, it's true that the variance is lower. If you play it badly, it's high variance and -EV.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:34 AM

Limit unless very short handed is checkers, where NL is chess.
You can be a lot more creative with NL and genearally the cards don't even matter.
NL is a lot more fun, more challenging, has less variance,is less mechanical and the optimal way to go in the long run unless you are a hu limit master.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limit unless very short handed is checkers, where NL is chess.
You can be a lot more creative with NL and genearally the cards don't even matter.
NL is a lot more fun, more challenging, has less variance,is less mechanical and the optimal way to go in the long run unless you are a hu limit master.

[/ QUOTE ]

Limit actually is the more complicated of the two games, as you are faced with many more decisions each betting round.

That being said, I play no-limit, because I love the feeling of stacking a donkey. Limit play can be a bit boring to me at times and I like the creativity you can utilize in NL games.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:01 AM

I choose limit cash games because, for me, it is hard to call All-Ins or push All-in without the nuts. I assume this will lead to a lower EV from No Limit than I achieve in Limit.

In the end it's a big mental thing that keeps me playing limit. Maybe after I get my limit game somewhere respectable I'll start to dabble in the No Limit cash games.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:01 AM

I started only as a NL player, tried to play limit for bonus whoring, but it just isn't me. I've read SSHE and all, but limit is just frusturing and boring (IMO,I know it suites many others well). That being said, I am still a winning limit player, just not as much as what is considered good. Playing NL is fun, limit on the other hand, I have to force myself to open up the tables because that bonus is only 4 boring hours away....

Edit: I think once you start with one, it is really hard to go over to the other, at least for the majority of people.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:17 AM

I primarily play limit hold 'em because I'm simply not comfortable playing no-limit. Also, for whatever reason, I find no-limit rather boring. At some point, I'll make an attempt to seriously learn no-limit; I suspect a lot of my discomfort stems from the fact that I simply don't know how to properly play the game. In the mean time, I play pot-limit omaha when I feel like playing big bet poker. Oddly enough, I'm fairly comfortable playing PLO, but I can't sit at a NLHE table for much more than a few orbits.