Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-01-2005, 08:27 AM

Default New to Short Handed... Am I Bad?

I just started playing some shorthanded after a long stint with full 5/10- 10/20. This hand stuck out to me, because I'm not sure if I need to be making these kind of plays or I am just spewing...

Reads: I have no read on BB, he'd been sitting for an orbit or so, and has played slightly loser than usual appr 40-45%

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.20 BB
Old 12-01-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: New to Short Handed... Am I Bad?

This is an ugly hand [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Preflop is fine,
Flop - Why are you raising(I've seen a few 2+2ers raise flops with ace high, whats that all about?)

His hand:
Looks like he's got a bit of the flop when he 3bets though, but checking the turn is strange.

Fold River
I dont think you're ace high is good so the river is a fold.

My line
I'd of probably called the flop, Seen what happend on the turn(Backdoorflush, Ace is probably clean, He may be bluffing/protecting his BB).
Old 12-01-2005, 09:00 AM

The raise on the flop was to regain the initiative in the hand, plus I thought there was a decent chance at this point my ace high was good, then he 3 bet which could mean a few things,

1: he hit the flop probably top pair since most other hits will call my raise and c/r the turn....

2: he has a draw and I'm stealing, so he wants to play it aggressively to fold hands like mine

when he checks the turn, I'm again fairly sure its number 2, but it could be a middle pair or a bad jack, but I can't think he wouldn't lead the turn with these kinds of hands, I think about betting for a second, then chicken out and check with the intention of calling a non spade non straight making card.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:16 AM

Given your raise, on the flop and the fact that he 3bets you, without reads, i'd fold this. I'd even consider just folding the flopbet here.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:42 AM

I've seen weak top pairs take that line before. They ram &amp; jam the flop then check/call down.

Unless he donks way too often or makes other bizzare plays, I'd just get away from this on the flop.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 AM

The problem with the flop raise is that if he caught a peice of the board, he is not likely folding, also, he probably doesn't believe the flop raise as much. A turn raise looks a lot stronger, but could be spewing.

This is a tough spot to be in, especially minus a read, he likely has a pair, and doesn't think you hit that flop. I think you can fold the river.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reads: I have no read on BB

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem with your hand. Without a read, I wouldn't assume that the villain does not have a piece of that flop. And this line is too expensive to find out.

I would just fold the flop, or perhaps peel the turn and hen fold.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:33 AM

Someone said to only call down with a read, not without one. Fold the river.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 AM

I'd peel the flop and fold the river here. If the turn was bet, then i'd fold.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:41 PM

This line is much better with AQ or As7s. Going nuts on the flop when you have very few outs if beaten is not nearly as good as going nuts with many outs.