Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 03:01 AM

Default 200$ NL VPIP help

I have over 14k hands @ 1$/2$ and my VPIP is 16.11. I am even.

I know this could be downswing, but my PF raise was 7% and I attempted to steal blinds 16.5% of the time. --Where is my biggest leak?
Old 11-19-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: 200$ NL VPIP help

You just switched over from limit, didn't you? You can't break NL games into stats. I could potentially be a winning player in NL games with 40% VPIP, or a loser if I only played AA.

You really need to start posting hands. That'll get you a lot more help than posting your stats.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:09 AM

So a high VPIP is not necessarily a "bad" thing?
Old 11-19-2005, 03:16 AM

In NL games, most of your decisions are made after the flop. That kind of play isn't reflected in a statistic.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:41 AM

is this fullring or 6 max?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:43 AM

I don't have much to add, just want to say that I have very similar amount of hands and somewhat similar stats, and my experience at 1/2 has been about the same. 15k hands and I'm even. I'm tight aggressive/aggressive, 13/5, but I will admit that I think I ran a little bad, and I also made quite a few mistakes. I seem to take a long time to adjust mentally to a new level which causes me to make more mistakes, it was the same when I tried to break into .5/1. I'm hoping that's the main problem, and that my play is pretty sound. Anyways, just adding that you aren't alone.

P.S. My post refers to full ring (you'd hope so from my vpip)
Old 11-19-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have much to add, just want to say that I have very similar amount of hands and somewhat similar stats, and my experience at 1/2 has been about the same. 15k hands and I'm even. I'm tight aggressive/aggressive, 13/5, but I will admit that I think I ran a little bad, and I also made quite a few mistakes. I seem to take a long time to adjust mentally to a new level which causes me to make more mistakes, it was the same when I tried to break into .5/1. I'm hoping that's the main problem, and that my play is pretty sound. Anyways, just adding that you aren't alone.

P.S. My post refers to full ring (you'd hope so from my vpip)

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to be playing more hands as well.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:00 AM

How many hands do you have at other levels where you're a "winner"?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:39 AM

When u say he needs to play more hands I think you should qualify this a little. I spent a long time trying to find out what hands it was I should be playing. It seemed that there were so few really playable hands to choose from, no one ever semed to post a hand that wasn't one of these and yet most claimed VPIP of around 20% in full ring and 30%+ in SH play.

It takes a mental shift to get from the idea of the two cards you are dealt being the 'Hand' (position not withstanding) to the more complete picture of the hand being your cards, your likely opponents in this hand, your position in the deal and in relation to your oponents, your opponents 'style' and weaknesses, the potential earn (implied dodds), your opponents likely cards, availability of reads etc. When you start 'thinking' about a hand this way many cards become playable that a 15/6 player is discarding and conversely, many hands he is playing will be folded.

edit: when i say 15/6 player I mean a 15/6 player who would quote his stats as an idicator of the hands he chooses to play preflop. e.g. I have 15%VPIP so I play AQo+, ATs+ ,TT-AA in EP, add in Axs in MP, add SCs and 2 broadway cards in late. Not I have 15%VP because I ony play hands aginst really bad players avoiding those who are only moderately bad etc.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:48 AM

I'd start with opening up your standards on the button and CO to include suited one-gappers say 57 and higher. These don't often get posted because they are fairly straight forward to play. You hit a big draw or 2-pair and you stack someones AA, they go on tilt, etc. Or you throw it away.