Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 06:07 PM

Default 76s near the bubble

10$ tournament on PokerChamps - 28 players left, money for the first 18.
Blinds are 300/600, ante 50 - my stack is around 6500, BB has me covered, MP has slightly less than me, and button has me covered.

I pick up 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB. MP & button limps, i complete (occasionally I like to play suited connectors at this point of the tourney, and I need to call 300 in a 2700 pot).

The flop comes 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, BB & MP checks, and button bets 3000.
Button has been playing quite loose - I put him on Kx, perhaps Ax (with so many passive players in front of him, and the big stack, it's a perfect time for a steal).

Do you push? Fold? If I call, I'm pot committed, and will probably end up putting all my chips in anyway, so I guess it's a push or a fold.

If he has a king, my 15 outs will let me win 55% of the time - he could have a set of 8's or 9's, but the size of the bet makes me think he doesn't have it.

What is your action?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: 76s near the bubble

Just call.

All you're chips are going in eventually, so try and get another caller. If you make your hand its going to be good anyhow.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:19 PM

Push. By choosing not to lead out, you are doing a check/raise. So do it.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:24 PM

Don't push. Button is loose and you want as many callers as you can get.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:29 PM

But which hands besides me would call, who wouldn't bet preflop? It's unlikely that there are other draws like mine out there.
If he's trying to buy the pot, I he might fold to a reraise.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:58 PM

At this stage, I would push. Early in a low buyin tournament with loose play, you could call and hope to get other callers.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:07 PM

If he bet he has something, and getting great odds to call with it. He wins if hero doesnt' improve.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:09 PM

He has made a pot-sized raise with probable top pair. I don't think thats excessive. He has the best hand now but wants to end the hand now. I wouldn't be so quick to put him on a bluff. However, it dosen't matter. You can't even beat his high card if you don't make your hand and if you do you'll probably beat whatever he might have. If you raise he will almost certainly put you on draw or K and higher kicker. If his kicker is A K or Q you will be in a race and he knows it. I say raise it up. But realize that you are betting your tourney on a coin flip and he will not fold with the pot offering him 3 to 1 even if no one else calls. Also, your flush might not be good. It would definately be low. Interesting situation. Thanks.
-Heath
Old 07-15-2005, 11:13 PM

If you want to win the tournament then you push and hope you have 15 outs. If you want to finish in the money then fold b/c you can probably limp in the money...that is if players are stilling falling off regularly. If you are like 27th in chips then push but if you are 10 then you should be ok.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't push. Button is loose and you want as many callers as you can get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I PROMISE you, whoever would call an all in would be the same people that would call if he merely called. Trust me.