Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2004, 08:42 PM

Default poki update

I just downloaded the latest poki update - it's a big one, 20 megabytes.

But it's worth it. Now you can play limit and no limit ring and tournament games.

This is now easily the best holdem software there is.

SV
Old 11-07-2004, 06:51 AM

Default Re: poki update

I was thinking of buying a copy now that they play no limit. Does the program play no limit well. More specifically does it play no limit heads up well?

silly
Old 11-07-2004, 03:18 PM

You guys are fast. We have posted this upgrade and we were going to make it public knowledge this week. We are announcing a few exciting changes.

We have a free upgrade, it’s actually a free upgrade to our new product, “Poki’s Poker Academy” is becoming “Poker Academy Pro”. Poker Academy Pro will retail for $ 129.99 but Poki’s Poker Academy will continue to sell for a short time at $ 99.50, so you save about $ 30 buying Poki and using the free upgrade.

Poker Academy Pro has many new features;

No-limit play
Tournament play
New pop-up advisor – gives different suggestions on hand play – not always math based, they can be image related, etc. It takes different factors into account
Improved Player statistics
Automatic Updater – makes version updating a snap, no need to check for new versions.
Configurable table and background graphics
New sounds and animation
4 color deck
a few other features, some minor bug fixes and various other improvements

The upgrade is available to existing customers at our website, it’s version 1.50 and the url is; http://www.poker-academy.com/download.html

Poki is being retired and replaced with Poker Academy. Our domain is changing to reflect this as well, poker-academy.com. Our website will be updated later this week.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:53 PM

Anyone checked this out yet that can give a review of the NL play?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is now easily the best holdem software there is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just bought a copy today and have completed 1200 hands, about 300 on each of the preconfigured Limit tables. Every 150 hands or so I shuffle seats to mix up positions, and I reload any bot that goes broke.

So far I'm owning them up, to the tune of 2.7 BB per 100 hands (with no rake). The bots seem really susceptible to loose-aggressive play. I understand that they are supposed to be adaptive -- how many hands should it take them before they adjust?

How good is the AI, really? How can I best use the software to challenge myself?

I plan on using the "sharks and fish" list after accumulating another couple thousand hands worth of data to set up a new table composed of the bots that are doing the best against me. Will that be a valid way to increase the difficulty?

What I really want to know is, how can I set this thing up to play against the most difficult bots possible, to best utilize the software as a learning tool? Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What I really want to know is, how can I set this thing up to play against the most difficult bots possible, to best utilize the software as a learning tool? Does anyone have any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

While it is the best software available now, it is NOT as good as a table full of good human players. If you are already a good player, do not expect to learn too much. As a learning tool, it is much more useful to a beginning player.

To answer your question, you should create a table which contains only poki-bots or sim-bots (ie, make sure there are no jag-bots at the table, as they are very weak). Also, if you find them susceptible to your aggressive play, tweak the bots to be more aggressive/loose themselves (You can do this with the slider bars).

HTH,
gm
Old 11-17-2004, 12:14 PM

Gaming_mouse is correct on the table configuration, sim/poki-bots will provide the most challenge as they are more adaptive/etc...

I know many very strong players that use Vexbot to practice their heads up game and other aspects to help improve their play.

If you are a strong enough player to beat the game over time, there are many aspects of the software that can still help you improve your play. studying hand histories, players statistics, etc...
Old 11-17-2004, 12:21 PM

I've been playing with this for a few days and the bots seem extremely prone to folding on the river for one bet in a huge pot. e.g. raising, calling my bets and raises all the way, then fold on the end for $4 more into a $80 or $90 pot?
Old 11-18-2004, 03:06 PM

Interesting, I have the opposite experience, this may be a style of play difference. I generally find them putting moves on at the river and bluffing. How would characterize your style of play? Tight/Passive, Tight/Aggressive, Loose/Aggressive??

You may also want to consider the bots you are playing with, Simbot, Pokibot, Vexbot, Sparbot are the strongest and will play the best (vex/spar are heads up only bots).
Old 11-19-2004, 07:19 AM

My own style of play is tight & aggressive, I have been using the Simbots & Pokibots so far - I have only completed around 750 hands. I'm going to start playing with the agression and trickiness levels to see how that changes things anyway.

The bots that adapt to your play: over what number of hands would the adaptations start to kick in?