Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Who here is a pro

For those of you who are pros, and have been for 3 years or longer, could you please list some of the pros and cons of your decision. Of course anyone who has failed can also voice their ideas. I searched on RGP and people ae much more supportive than is generally the case here.
I am strongly considering the move as I hate big business
Old 07-31-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Who here is a pro

Old 07-31-2004, 12:52 PM

Banky Edwards: Alright, now see this? This is a four-way road, OK? And dead in the center is a crisp, new, hundred dollar bill. Now, at the end of each of these streets are four people, OK? Are you following?
Holden: Yeah.
Banky Edwards: Good. Over here, we have a male-affectionate, easy to get along with, non-political agenda lesbian. Down here, we have a man-hating, angry as [censored], agenda of rage, bitter dyke. Over here, we got Santa Claus, and up here the Easter Bunny. Which one is going to get to the hundred dollar bill first?
Holden: What is this supposed to prove?
Banky Edwards: No, I'm serious. This is a serious exercise. It's like an SAT question. Which one is going to get to the hundred dollar bill first? The male-friendly lesbian, the man-hating dyke, Santa Claus, or the Easter bunny?
Holden: The man-hating dyke.
Banky Edwards: Good. Why?
Holden: I don't know.
Banky Edwards: Because the other three are figments of your [censored] imagination!
Old 07-31-2004, 01:46 PM

Default my thoughts . . .

DV:

I may be out of line, but I am going to try to speak for some of other 2+2ers who I know and respect . . .

I and many other 2+2ers play at what could be called a "semi-pro" level. In other words, we have regular 'day-jobs', but are able to make money 'on the side' by playing solid poker on what could be considered a part-time (or "semi-full-time") basis.

For myself, I enjoy the game and the friendships it breeds and fosters. I have met some truly wonderful folks playing cards, people I never would have had a chance to meet but for my passion for poker. I also enjoy winning, of course, and it's nice to make a few extra bucks and get respect for playing a difficult game with at least some minimal degree of competancy.

When I look at people who play professionally on a full-time basis, I often see the wear it takes on them spiritually because they simply must win in order to eat. The game, I believe, becomes less of an enjoyable part-time passion and more of a full-time obsession.

It's very difficult to put your livelihood (both financially and spiritually) on the fall of small pieces of pasteboard: the results are often disappointing not because of what you do, but because of the talent of others, the ****ing rake, and lady luck itself.

Many times I feel I have an advantage over the rest of a table not because I am stronger fundamentally, but because I have a decent job which I enjoy (usually), and a strong and loving family, and can play poker because I love the game and love trying to play it well and improve, and not because the rent won't get paid if I don't win.

For me, full-time professional poker, with its intense nature and long hours needed to get past the "short-term", would jeopardize the things I cherish in life. I'm not saying that you shouldn't give it a run, but you might consider taking my experiences into account.

Best of Luck,

TSP
Old 07-31-2004, 03:09 PM

I think if you are really, really good, you will enjoy playing poker for a living. If you are not talented enough, and "play by the book" to scrape a living, you will end up hating the game.

And, never play bigger than your bankroll permits
Old 07-31-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Re: my thoughts . . .

He is saying that he doesn't care for his job either, though, so if he winds up not enjoying poker as much as a part-time player does, he may still wind up way ahead if he is a winning player.

Not disagreeing with you in any way, just adding that even if poker becomes less enjoyable as a full-time job, it is probably still much more rewarding as a profession for certain people than are some other options.

A lot of people get very little joy out of their jobs, so poker being less than a perfect job won't even come close to being a deal-breaker. Job dissatisfaction is probably the norm out there anyway.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:46 PM

Default Seen Chasing Amy one too many times Vehn

Vehn,

How many times have you seen Chasing Amy??
Old 07-31-2004, 11:00 PM

I note with detached solemnity your 'I hate big business' comment and then your thoughts that a switch to the fetters of a poker life would be an improvement. Casting aside the contradictory nature of your stance, I must make at least one point.

Do you see the attractive figure with the diaphanous yellow covering that takes up space in your post? Have you noticed the slightly dark protuberance just visible on one of the firm, smooth, round orbs that decorate her delicious frame?

Now THAT is something worth aiming for.

[ QUOTE ]
I searched on RGP and people ae much more supportive than is generally the case here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because, in general, RGP is a cesspool of twisted fools, blowhard morons, mountebanks, self-proclaimed messiahs, and other charlatans that spew out drivel at an astonishing rate. An interesting and amusing study in human nature but an altogether untrustworthy source for advice about ones choices in life.

In my opinion, of course.

-Zeno
Old 08-01-2004, 04:05 AM

Zeno,
While I'm not disagreeing with you about rpg, I think in all fairness we should also state that this sight is filled with pompous, self-indulging, megalomaniacs (and yes, I'm aware this is mildly repetitive). Is the quality of our general discussion better, I believe so. Do we always handle ourselves in the most polite ways, no. A part of this is because many users feel that some of the posts from new readers are white noise and the same old jargon that fills the majority of RPG type sites. Still, most new readers are here to learn, so as the old sea-dogs we should respect that. We weren't always good either.
-oh, and that yellow bikini... it's a man pre-op.
Ez-out
Old 08-01-2004, 10:00 AM

"For those of you who are pros, and have been for 3 years or longer, could you please list some of the pros and cons of your decision."

I never decided to become a professional poker player, in the same way that I never decided to become a smoker.

"Of course anyone who has failed can also voice their ideas."

If you quit your job to be a professional poker, and you decide in advance that if you go broke you will consider yourself to be a failure, then you've got it all wrong.

Tommy