Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 12-16-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Handling reraises preflop (noob question)

[ QUOTE ]
Tilt: why do we wanna play this hand multiway if calling would get more people in? What am i missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I understand your question, but i'll take a stab at answering it anyway:

I think you are best off forcing out the higher flush draws if you can. There may be higher straight draws that you can get out as well, plus you might get rid of the two pair combos that you could wind up splitting the pot with.

But most importantly why I advocate pushing is that you really want to eliminate position as a factor in the hand. Also, there is a small chance that the raiser has kings and will fold. I hope no one will argue that that is absurd - I see it all the time - so I would not discount the possibility that there is some fold equity here.

Acesover8's makes a good point, in that calling means you pay 30% of your stack for the option of going all-in as a favorite on the flop. I just think without having done the math that 30% is too much for that. But calling has another effect, in that you may not be the only caller (though most times you will be). I think without position that I don't want to be multiway here since it will be near impossible to win the pot without a showdown in that scenario.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:11 PM

I dont raise UTG but if you can get 5 callers its ok [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Now I call and I am happy to play against his AA. (which mean I checkraise allin with any hand which is favourite against AA).
Old 12-16-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tilt: why do we wanna play this hand multiway if calling would get more people in? What am i missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I understand your question, but i'll take a stab at answering it anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure i understand my question either, cocaine is a hell of a drug.

On a serious note, i thought u meant that if calling would ensure a multiway pot that was to be preferred and i was trying to figure out why.

Is there an empiric way to determine the EV of both situations? Untop of my head i would say it would be tough since there are many factors to consider like FE and the risk of it getting multiway. But what if we make the assumption that it will be HU in both cases, anyone got any ideas?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I understand your question, but i'll take a stab at answering it anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure i understand my question either, cocaine is a hell of a drug.

On a serious note, i thought u meant that if calling would ensure a multiway pot that was to be preferred and i was trying to figure out why.

Is there an empiric way to determine the EV of both situations? Untop of my head i would say it would be tough since there are many factors to consider like FE and the risk of it getting multiway. But what if we make the assumption that it will be HU in both cases, anyone got any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. There are too many shared card/draw possibilities. The equity ranges are pretty broad I think.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Results

Aight thanks guy and gals. I called, blanked and folded. Got two callers behind me, one of which busted his aces I think.

Seems like call is the most voiced opinion, with some dissension. I kinda value punters and acesover8s opinion the highest.

I still am not sure about raising UTG. Maybe I will stop it completely until I am a better Omaha player.