Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-23-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Pre-flop Decision

No reads, first orbit at the table.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($42.75)
Hero ($49.25)
UTG ($34.93)
MP ($50)
CO ($64.90)
Button ($71.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>. Hero?

I find it sucks playing this marginally strong hand OOP aggressivly because it's another one of those win small or lose big hands. It's it standard to raise here or should you call and play the hand accordingly? How would you play this hand.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Pre-flop Decision

I'd call and see what the flop brings...

If you re-raise - and get rere-raised thats a fold.

I'm calling and most likely throwing out a 2/3 pot bet on the flop - if that doesn't win me the hand and I miss the flop I'm done - unless I can continue cheaply and play for set value...
Old 11-23-2005, 07:42 PM

Re-raise to $5. If called, and only a K or a Q flops, fire a bet, c/f if called. If an ace flops, I'd check-fold to any sizeable bet. If a J flops, go hog wild. That may be weak-tight post flop but that's how i'd play it.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:43 PM

With a small raise and a caller, I'd call and play for set value. Unless the first limper re-raises your getting a great price to play this for a set. If you re-raise to take it down, you've got to go through 3 opponents which is unlikely. Then you're in a very difficult spot.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:44 PM

Make it like $4. Taking this down preflop is fine, or HU with the preflop raiser.