Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Call down river?
I bet and fold to a raise 2 22.22%
Fold 5 55.56%
Call down 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: AK - Vs. Reraise all in and a call

With a stack tall enough to survive even if you re-raised, CO may be taking a shot at MP with a range of hands. With position to lead off the betting in later rounds I'm usually calling and firing at the flop, but the final decision would depend on what my table image is currently like and how tight I think these two are.

If I felt I was in a real sticky spot I may fold, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a stack of 2350 at this stage of the tournament and would probably feel inclined to make a move somewhere... and AKs is a pretty good place to do it. If I get taken down by CO's bullets, so be it... but I'm gonna go down shooting back [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 04:26 PM

Well I will not stop posting just because you don't like my posts. Sorry if you had trouble reading my post but I really don't care. One thing my post did that yours failed to do was put both players on hands by the way they were betting, something which is valuable to do. Also, I didn't think my post was that bad. If you happen to think than that is your right but is really criticizing me worth your time...do you really have nothing better to do today than to criticize me? Well if you do I feel even more pity for you than I already did but you do have something better to do please go do that and stop harassing me.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:51 PM

Not only that, but assuming UTG+1 has a dominated A, you only win 22% of the time when CO has KK and 36% of the time when he has QQ.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:10 PM

First off, and most importantly, calling off half your stack PF (keeping in mind that you'll be getting around 4:1 on any flop and will even have to call a push) is terrible poker and you will wind up going broke this way a lot.

Second, you are really getting slightly under 2:1 on a push with a big side pot. It is a very safe bet CO has some kind of medium pair or worse, but that in all likelihood one or two of your outs are dead. Nevertheless, you're getting that 2:1 on a side pot with CO that you're over 2:1 to win and should probably push unless MP is very tight.

If CO had reraised, you would actually have an easy fold based on the updated read, but he's dumb and just called a pretty vulnerable hand, so there you go.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, and most importantly, calling off half your stack PF (keeping in mind that you'll be getting around 4:1 on any flop and will even have to call a push) is terrible poker and you will wind up going broke this way a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't make the mistake of assuming any advice is meant to mean "this is how you should play to play good poker". For me, at least, it is simply "how I am *likely* to play this specific situation given the limited information available (where normally I would have the entire tournament of play to reflect upon.)" I certainly don't recommend calling in half your stack every time just the same as I would not recommend never calling. It is entirely situation dependent, and my aim is to offer a line of reasoning and the logic that led to that decision on this particular hand.

[ QUOTE ]
It is a very safe bet CO has some kind of medium pair or worse, but that in all likelihood one or two of your outs are dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I would choose to call and fire at the flop instead of pushing preflop. Now I know on the surface it may seem like a rookie weak/strong type of mistake (and if it's interpreted as such, that much more to my advantage), but if CO has a medium or small pair, your hand is dominated... especially if one or more of your outs is held by MP.

Calling now and firing at the flop is the psychologically dominant play. By hesitating and then coming back I'm indicating either a trap, a small pair that hit a set, or maybe even a straight/flush, representing a more powerful hand than a preflop push would have portrayed and thus being more likely to scare him off (and with a great straight/flush flop you may even scare off AA/KK, something you could never do with a preflop push.)

If MP had chips remaining I would be more inclined to make that push, but once his chips are all in he is no longer a factor in my decisions. If CO has a monster, he's going to call no matter when you make the push, and after the flop you're still capable of making a larger than pot sized bet forcing him to choose to retain 2/3 or take a shot and possibly be cut down to 1/3 his stack. Beyond that, I can hand off the betting if I choose and still have a chance to escape if I hit a really nasty looking flop.

A preflop push screams AA/KK (there'll be a lot more uncertainty about your holding if you bet after the flop) but he may easily call... and he has the stack and almost a full orbit of position to do so with a wider range of hands. You can make a greater show of strength by not defining your hand and betting the flop. If you hit well, you are betting anyway and it may be interpreted as a bluff, bringing a call... however even if you miss you can show greater strength by betting out. You're toast if he hit better than you or started with a huge hand, but then you would have busted out had you gone in pre-flop anyway.

Other considerations in this strategy are based on the fact that it is tournament play. First, I feel much more comfortable with this play at $10+1 than I would at higher stakes where the competition is wiser/smarter/tougher. Second, the blinds are about to go up, I'm going to get hit by them next hand, and (this one is more subjective) I don't at all like a small stack going into the next level in the middle of the tournament. You'll never win waiting for prefection, sometimes you've got to pick the best of some bad ground and make a stand. I'll choose the aggressive play with a hand that has some strength to it. I may lose, but that's poker. In the long run what may seem a foolish play, if appropriately applied, will be +EV.

One of the things I love most about this game is that no matter how well you can calculate the "correct" play according to mathematical odds, it can still be swayed by that nebulous and ever elusive human factor, of which you can never be completely certain... less so when reviewing a hand after the fact [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
If CO had reraised, you would actually have an easy fold based on the updated read, but he's dumb and just called a pretty vulnerable hand, so there you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

**Disclaimer: The above post is simply a glimpse in the furnace from which the steel of my strategy is forged, your mileage may vary.