Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 07-25-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Something new that I tried and it works...

Alright I read somewhere not sure exactly where though that betting a minimal bet after the flop is usually a bad idea b/c more agressive players will come over the top of you. Well I tried doing this only when I had the nuts and usually aggressive players come over the top. Then I check on 4th street and they bet or they bet and I call on 4th street, then on the river I bet a quarter to half the pot trying to get some chips at the end. Usually I do this 2 to 3 times on the same table and it no longer works. How ever after it works, I usually can bluff people out of the pot with the small bets because they see that my small bets mean big hands. Which also helps w/ big hands like AKs and I miss the flop...they say he has a set, I only have top pair. What do you guys think? Brilliant strategy or just some luck
Old 07-25-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Something new that I tried and it works...

I think the vast majority of players online won't even notice your subtle changes in bet size, and that you're wasting your time.

Probably more a coincidence than anything. They probably just didn't have a hand. They are not going to lay down top pair because, "Oh, He bet just 1 BB there, he must have a monster.", nor will they toss their draws away.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:12 PM

This is just a way of slowplaying your hand...show weakness to induce a bluff.

As with any slowplay, you open yourself up to being drawn out on. I love when a guy with AA slowplays and lets me hit my flush draw.

I agree that your described play has some value, but it must be used as one aspect of your game...not the definition of it.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:35 PM

Sounds like a variation on the play where you make what looks like a continuation bet on the flop, then check the turn and overbet the river to make it look like a steal when you have the nuts. From my experience, your play may work against very good or very bad players, but the majority of players will be in the middle and will either call you because that's what they do, or raise you because it looks like a weak river bet.

EDIT

I'm referring to your "bluff" hands after you did it with the nuts. Your play is a good one that should be in your arsenal, but should only be brought out on occasion (good opponent that will remember what you did before)
Old 07-25-2005, 04:41 PM

The play is fine, but only if you are convinced that those following you are aggro. As an earlier poster said, many online players won't even be aware that you are "weak." Generally, I like to bet strong hands on the flop against all but the most aggro opponents. Helps lend credence to later continuation bets.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the vast majority of players online won't even notice your subtle changes in bet size, and that you're wasting your time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-25-2005, 04:56 PM

actually, this is also a great way to "build" a pot for a later street, as long as you aren't worried about draws. For example, suppose you see the flop for free in the big blind with three others, and you flop trips on a rainbow, non-connected flop. If you minbet here, you might get calls all the way around the table --- setting up a bigger bet on fourth street when people are more committed to the pot. Otherwise, if you bet right out on the flop, nobody wants to risk second pair or whatever when the pot is small anyway.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:27 PM

someone once said to me:

"If we both have the same cards and play the exact same way each and every hand, except that my bets and raises are the pot, and your bets and raises are the minimum, who do you think makes more money??"
Old 07-25-2005, 05:43 PM

I like this play when you know you have an aggressive player that has position on you. If I am the raiser preflop, I sometimes throw out a weak [1/3 pot] "continuation bet" after the flop when I hit the nuts. In certain situations this play can be very profitable, as the aggressive player hopefully reads you as weak and tries to run you over.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:50 PM

Thanks guys but responding to Alexander, you never get the same cards so you have to play differently such as slow playnig aces instead of moving all-in on the flop. Of course when I play limit I raise most big hands b/c most people will call but in no limit the great thing is that if I bet 20 I may get payed more than if I bet 200. Thats the beauty of no-limit, trying to get the most chips out of your opponents rather then just building a pot b/c you have the best hand.