Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Bad fold on the river?

Playing 4/8 live at the Wynn last night. Not much of a read on villian, except he hadn't been caught stealing in about 2 hours of play.

Hero: 95o in the big blind. Villian calls UTG. 3-4 other callers, Hero checks.

Flop: 585 (2 diamonds)
Hero bets, Villian raises, everyone else folds, Hero reraises, Villian calls.

Turn: X
Hero bets, Villian calls.

River: 8
Hero bets, Villian raises, Hero folds.

Did I play the river horribly? I didn't actually mean to bet, just moved too fast and was already in motion before I realized the 8s paired. Bad fold?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Bad fold on the river?

I'd imagine you're beat here, but let's think about what villain could be on.

Was he limping UTG a lot? I suppose he's on 78s or 89s a lot of the time here. How is it that you have no read on him after two hours? Was he folding a lot? Raising postflop? Checkraising? You must have seen him play at least 60 hands in this time, and that's usually enough to get an idea about the sorts of hands he plays.

Also: What was the turn card? Bigger than 8? Smaller than 5? In between? That might make a difference. If it was a 6, he could have been limping UTG with 66 and have you beat. If it was a 4, you have him beat. Both of those are unlikely given both the flop and turn action, but it's something to consider.

Of course, this river is probably a check-call, but you knew that.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:14 PM

I actually prefer bet/fold on this river. Aggression like that on the flop can be either top pair or a pocket pair greater than 5s. On the river, most players will still call a bet with pocket pairs but check behind if you check. You said he isn't the tricky type, so if he raises you are beat. I like how you played this hand.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:46 AM

This is bet fold against a typical live opponent, who I haven't seen do anything tricky and isn't aggressive in 2 hours of play. This is bet/call if I just sat down at the table. I don't know why I would check-call? Of course I don't know what the turn was.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:32 AM

Sorry, I just don't remember what the turn was, except it wasn't very scary (e.g. no straight or flush possible). I didn't get a good read on him because he was constantly getting up from the table, and I just didn't see him do anything that stood out. He was certainly better than the average 4/8 player I run across. Later in the night I saw him attempt a couple of steals, but I didn't have that enough on this play.