Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 05:00 PM

Default My first trip to the Wynn poker room (long)

I didn't explore the property... just the poker room.

The room is very close to the self park garage, close enough to restrooms, and way away from slot noise. The room is very nice and there's much more room between tables than at the Mirage. The dealers were pretty good for the most part, again better than the Mirage.

I like that they have screens showing the wait/interest lists. I didn't like that they were inserting people ahead of me in the list, saying they had called and someone had forgot to put them on. Took half an hour to get seated at 8/16 HE at 8p night before Thanksgiving. There were two tables of 8/16 going.

My table was full of rocks and locals. At one point, everybody knew each other except me... I'm in from out of town visiting family for the holiday.

Cocktail service was TERRIBLE. Worst I can remember, honestly. They didn't do a good job of keeping the table full even though there was a list, despite repeated reminders. Rate reduction is at 6 players. Rake is max $4, with the fourth dollar dropping at $90 pot. No peculiar rules or anything to speak of.

Dealers ignored requests by various players to keep the game moving. We had one guy for a bit that took 20 seconds to act every single time action was on him.

The game eventually juiced up with some tourists and alcohol and I was fortunate enough to clear a 30+ BB profit in 6 hours.

Overall, I wasn't wowed by any stretch. It's nice to have another option on par with the Bellagio, and they were generally nicer at the Wynn than at the Bellagio, but maybe I was expecting something more.

-Ritmo
Old 11-24-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: My first trip to the Wynn poker room (long)

The cocktail service was excellent when I was there last. My $5-10 NL table was also very soft.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:36 PM

Both rooms feature good games, but the Wynn staff are MUCH more pleasant to deal with.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They didn't do a good job of keeping the table full even though there was a list, despite repeated reminders.

[/ QUOTE ]

I experienced the same there.

15/30 table got down to 7, then 6, then 5 players.
Somebody told the floor for about the 5th time.
There was a list of 12 players for 15/30 on the screen.
Finally, one peeved-off player suggested we stop playing until they do something about it (I could have played or not played...either way).
Went to men's room and then made a phone-call during our little intermission. Came back 10 minutes later and they still hadn't gotten players for our game. Took another 5 minutes after that.

No idea why they weren't doing it. They would acknowledge that they heard the request and then not make any kind of announcement.
Their poor dealer that down was getting pretty screwed as he can't make anything in tips if the game isn't going obviously.

No freaking idea what their problem was.
they kept calling players over to their 2/5 NL game. Then would still forget to call for the 15/30 seats.
It was pretty stupid.

Cocktail service was very good when I was there though.
This can really vary depending on the day and time.
If a couple call in sick or it's near a shift-change then it's generally going to be a long time to get a drink.

drink service at the bellagio (for example) was generally decent when I was there....but there were other times when it was non-existant.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both rooms feature good games, but the Wynn staff are MUCH more pleasant to deal with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-25-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Never going back to the Bellagio for me.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Never going back to the Bellagio for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

photoc...what games do you play there? I'm usually in the 15/30 nowadays...if you're around we should at least shake hands. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm usually in the 15/30 nowadays...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the Wynn 15/30 on Tuesday in the evening (about 5 to 10 PM)... Were you there? (I also played in the 8/16 and the mixed game on Sunday.)

This was my first trip to Vegas in over a year... If I have the chance, I might post a little more of a trip report later...
Old 11-26-2005, 07:59 AM

Made my first trip to Vegas this week, too, and I also played at The Wynn for four days.

I found the cocktail service to generally be acceptable to good.

Most of the dealers were good, and a few were very good (note that one insisted that if I let the button pass me when moving from a must-move table, that I'd have to post). A couple of the dealers didn't do a good job of dealing with players getting out of hand.

I also appreciated the fact that the poker room was far removed from the gaming floor. No dings, bells, beeps, whistles, or cigarette smoke wafting in from afar.

The play was as bad as one might hope, with most of the tables I played at having 1-3 good players, at most. There were certainly some sharks, of course, and it was easy to spot the people that either post here or should post here. :-)

One problem I found was that they put the 15/30 games into a chain must-move, no matter how many tables were in play. At one point on Wednesday, there was a four-table chain, and nobody was happy, including the dealers.

Another note: The tournament structure for the daily tournaments was outstanding. I believe that has been posted about in other threads, but it bears mentioning again.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:37 AM

The Wynn staff was pleasant?

The staff that was plucked and cherry picked from MY CARD CLUB, CANTERBURY????

I HAVE INEXPERIENCED JOE BLOW DEALERS SAYING ALL RED BEATS TWO PAIR WHILE YOU MILK ALL MY GOOD DEALERS FOR VEGAS???????....GO TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I do feel the quality of Canterbury has gone down slightly with the loss of so many of our good floor and dealer people - I knew that excellent staff would be one of the Wynn's selling points from the beginning - glad to see they're not letting me down or making me look like a liar [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

RB