Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Question about flush draw outs

You can't count what you don't know, so that's why you use 9/47. Obviously, if you know a club is burned you can adjust your probability to 8/46.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:20 PM

Here's a simpler example. I randomly give you one card out of a full deck. The probability that that card is the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is 1/52 right?

Now what if I deal myself five cards, then deal you a card. The probability that the card I give you will be the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is still 1/52 because you don't know what my cards are, so you're still randomly getting one card out of 52. Get it?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i get that part. but when we count outs we don't factor in the amount of total cards left in the deck. that's why i'm saying it should be 6 outs, giving us 25% equity, not 9 outs giving us 35% equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

The odds -> equity tables assume you are using the standard way of counting outs, ie treating all other player's cards as "unknowns".
Old 11-11-2005, 10:25 PM

well, i guess so.. still seems strange to me though.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:26 PM

yeah but you still have to assume there are no clubs it seems.. i mean i get what the other poster said but it still seems odd.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah but you still have to assume there are no clubs it seems.. i mean i get what the other poster said but it still seems odd.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you don't. The part you're not getting is that when you say "I have 9 outs on the river out of 46 cards," that is counting the cards in the other players' hands. If you were assuming no one else was dealt a club, or that none of the burn cards were clubs either, then you would have 9 outs out of 25 cards (assuming a 10-handed game).

Going back to my single-deck game example, if I deal the cards to myself face-down, then your probability of drawing the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is still 1/52 from your point of view. If I show you the five cards and none is the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], your odds have improved to 1/47. If I show you the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from my pile, then obviously your odds of drawing it have decreased to zero.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:44 PM

ok, i think i get it now. just seemed counterintuitive initially. thanks.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 PM

If we follow your logic, we shouldn't count any card that has no chance of being dealt to us.

You're thinking that it's impossible to dealt a card that one of your opponent has. That's true, but it's just as impossible to dealt a card that's below the river. (cheating not withstanding)
Old 11-12-2005, 12:25 AM

i already said i got it, why are you posting this?