Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Please help with my bankroll ignorance!!!

Ok I started on partypoker last fall with an initial deposit of 50. I mostly played sng starting with 5+1 and working my way up to 200+15 within 2 months. I really had a knack for the sngs. I had build a bank roll of about 20k and was doing great in the 215s. Then i tried the step 5s and got cleaned out by christmas. I lost it all, and i was in about a day or 2 that i blew in all in these steps 5s. I was definetly not ready for the step 5s and also alot of bad luck also insued. So i started back after christmas break im in college so i only play at school really. But after playin so high limit then losing it all i dont know how to build back a bank roll because i cant get myself to play anything below 50s. So for spring i would lose thosands and then remake the money in a frenzied scramble to make back the money i had overdrawn my bank. For example, I would have 500 in checking and 2k in savings and would drain both accounts plus 2k and then would have to play all day long the next day in 215s to make back the money. Yet i always seemed to make back the money i realized this was awful money management. So for the summer i put a 200 a week limit on my partypoker account. I havnt played very consistently and will only play 50 sng at the lowest as i cant get myself to play lower. I also have a problem of losing all my money in ring games as im a terrible ring game player yet cant resist (I probably lost a lot of the 20k in ring games as well). I am fairly consistent at the 50s but tend to end up turning the 200 into like 600 then losing in all in some form be it in ring games or going to high sngs. The big loss before christmas break really demolished my confidence in poker i think and i need a plan how to get back on. I used to play just for fun and found a knack for the game, now i want to get back to the good old days. I need suggestions in what i need to do. I really havnt lost any money but havnt gained any either because whenever i win i play til i lose it all. Please give me any suggestions how to manage this bank roll and become a more successful player. If anyone has had similar situations please share and tell me what i need to do. Something snapped in me tonight and made me realize the way im playing is ridiculous. Please Please Please Help me with any suggestions you have to give. Anything can help.
Thank you so much,
Zach
P.S.-(sorry for the poker sap story as im sure everyone has them but i just needed to get all that off my chest and now im all ears on any suggestions to help me back on the road to poker success)
Old 08-01-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Please help with my bankroll ignorance!!!

The good news is that since you're in college, you will have the opportunity to take both a composition class and a statistics class. That might be a good start. Well, that and GA. Seriously.

SlimP
Old 08-01-2005, 02:58 AM

You have 2 choices.

1) Stop playing poker now and save yourself from becoming insanely in debt. If your post is any indication, you're the pinacle of an addict. Seriously.

2)Continue on your current route and become very impoverished.

You need to take a step outside yourself for a second and read that post you just made objectively. You're in bad shape dude, do NOT continue to play poker.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:00 AM

Edit: quit now while you can

Man in all honesty...

Quit playing poker.

You have a problem. With your attitude and poor money skills (i.e. overdrawing bank accounts) you don't have what it takes to make money in the long run in this game.

Bankroll requirements have been posted on this site a million times...CHECK the FAQ. If you can't stick to bankroll requirements and "can't play anything below a fifty" then you need to quit poker. Period. End of Story.

Sigma

make paragraphs,

then i'll consider reading your post.

also, brevity is the soul of wit. and the internet.

citanul
Old 08-01-2005, 03:28 AM

Yeah i figured that was what i was going to be told. Im sure it is the correct answer. Im gonna give it one last shot and put 200 on next week and start at the 10s or 20s maybe. I havnt lost any money as of yet playing poker as i have said i just win i then lose it or the little stint i had where i would lose it then have to win it back. I got over that problem and the 200 dollar limit really helps. I love poker to much to give it up, and my play is decent i just need someway to find a way to regain control. I was that huge loss that spun me out of control. I really appreciate your posts and quitting is probably best but i just love it to much. I need to find a way to re dedicate myself and start all over.
Thanks so much for the replies, they really did help. I think the best thing to do is start over and start slow and if i cant i got to quit and see ga or whatever. Thanks, any more suggestions would be helpful.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:52 AM

Well, I suppose there are three ways to approach this:

1) Quit
2) Continue doing what your doing and give some nice guys all your winnings

3) If you truely are addicted and cannot give it up

STICK TO SNGs! STAY AWAY FROM RING GAMES
rather than limit yourself to only above 50$, why not try limiting yourself to UNDER 50$ games...
Old 08-01-2005, 04:31 AM

why don't you deposit one LAST $100 (promise yourself that) and work up all the way from the $5+1s to the $200+15s? If you really have a "knack for SNGs" I figure this should take about 6 months of hard work. if you don't want to do this, then you're just lazy and look for quick riches.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:54 AM

I'm afraid you don't really sound like a winning player but if you enjoy playing poker so much then just stick to $11s and play it for the fun of the game (1 table [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]), you will lose much less per hour than otherwise and as a college student you can't afford excessive losses from your 'hobby.'

If you can build up your bankroll to $660 then sure start playing the $22 SNGs and go from there, but you must make sure u don't go on tilt and try to get even playing the really high buy-in SNGs as that's plain stupid and you stand no chance.

Everyone has different reasons for playing poker. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]