Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Risk -World Domination

Has there ever been a thread here about the game called "Risk" which is played either "capital" or "world domination"? If so, can you please give me a link to it? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Risk -World Domination

I like to take and hold Australia and pretend to be weak while Africa and South America duke it out with the person left w/o a continent (we play 4 player).
Old 12-27-2004, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to take and hold Australia and pretend to be weak while Africa and South America duke it out with the person left w/o a continent (we play 4 player).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny cause that is what I do and play
Old 12-28-2004, 09:24 AM

Australia isnt as good as it seems at first. You only have one point of entry, but once you spread into asia, you have to defend on many sides.
I prefer south america as my main base. Once you take over north america, you only have to defend one more entry point (three instead of two). And its very easy to mess with your opponents continent bonuses on asia europe and africa, while you stock pile in N and S america.
I used to like australia too, but have since moved on [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

edit: Besides, Brazilian chicks are the hottest.

edit: i normally play three handed though, so i suppose its a more aggressive game. the person who tries to sandbag in australia always seems to get run over.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Australia isnt as good as it seems at first. You only have one point of entry, but once you spread into asia, you have to defend on many sides.
I prefer south america as my main base. Once you take over north america, you only have to defend one more entry point (three instead of two). And its very easy to mess with your opponents continent bonuses on asia europe and africa, while you stock pile in N and S america.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, once you spread into Asia, you don't have to defend on many sides at all. Just leave enough armies on Siam so no one can get in, then start branching out into Asia/NA for countries. No one usually goes for Asia very much and the amount of countries you can get will get you to those important 12/15 numbers.

The problem with SA is that if the person who has Australia doesn't look to bother Africa too much, then they put a lot of pressure on you, especially getting 3 extra armies (as opposed to your 2) every turn. Also, there's no way you will be able to get (and hold) both SA and NA if your playing against thinking opponents. In games that we play, anyone who takes over NA is immediately attacked by almost everyone because letting that person keep it for 1 or 2 turns almost always wins them the game.

The best strategy I've found if your going for SA only works if you go before the person who takes Africa. Take over SA, then get your 5 armies on round 2 and break into North Africa to prevent your opponent from getting those 3 extra.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:56 AM

My strat is take China at all cost! Move all my armies there and hopfully have enough to make a wall around all of China. Then I say "Can't tear down my Great Wall China!" I have always lost but it is fun...
Old 01-30-2005, 01:59 AM

I once tried loading all of mine into Western Australia but they all drowned from a tsunami.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:50 PM

J_V started a risk thread about a year or two ago, although I don't think any of the variants were ever discussed. Secret Mission Risk is the best option, especially if you don't have five hours to devote to a game.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:52 AM

I prefer Castle Risk to Secret Mission Risk. I like the idea of Secret Mission Risk, but the problem is that most of the secret missions are kind of stupid. And it's pretty hard to keep them a secret.

-McGee
Old 12-27-2004, 10:45 PM

I remember seeing a couple of threads. You might try Other Gambling Games archives.