Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Two pair laydown

I pretty much butchered this one, should I be pumping the flop here ? At the time I was new to the table and had little as far as reads went.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($37.85)
CO ($98)
Button ($204.50)
SB ($463.95)
Hero ($98.40)
UTG ($99.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($4.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($12.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>,<font color="#CC3333">Button moves all in</font> Hero folds.

Final Pot: $32.50

Folding seemed standard here. I think I should have pumped the flop, but for how much ?

thanks
Old 09-16-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Two pair laydown

really weak IMO. you don't think he does this with AK/AQ? only thing he could have you are losing to is a set, and the only reason thing there is 88. sorry, but i take my chips, shove them in there and see what happens. he could do this with A8s or A9s for all you know.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding seemed standard here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think you are good here quite a bit, and might have called. C/c'ing the flop is OK, but then leading the turn is probably better than a c/r, IMO.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:57 PM

I raise the flop there almost everytime. If he happens to be on a draw I don't want him to get it too cheaply, and perhaps he'll go overboard with AK or AQ thinking it's best.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:25 PM

I think you see AK/AQ 3x as often as AA/JJ (especially since you have 1 of each).

Maybe even A9?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:46 PM

I wasn't worried about a set at all here.

I was very concerned about q10. The turn all in signaled A LOT of strength. I mean he 3 bet me all in yea sometimes you see AK, AQ do this. But I think considering the min raise pre flop it is very unlikely he held a hand this strong.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't worried about a set at all here.

[/ QUOTE ]Any reason why? I know AA and JJ are unlikely given you hold one of each but it isn't impossible, right?

In my mind I'm calling this almost every time. He could be on a weaker two pair or an overplayed AK/AQ/A9. A set seems unlikely but not unheard of.

The turn all-in made you think of strength, but don't you think he would push whatever his hand might be here anyway? He's probably not fearing a straight from you on this card so maybe he believes he can get you to fold the best hand.

I'm still not decided on the hand. I would probably call but it wouldn't amaze me if I lost. I believe you'll be ahead enough times to make this call profitable.

Just my thoughts.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 PM

I'd raise the flop...if he played back at me there, i'd probably shove my chips in.

I _have_ seen people on party min raising little pocket pairs and AA lately so I don't think 88 is out of the realm of possibility here.