Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Putting Someone On Tilt

Hi everyone,

I just started playing for real money recently and noticed that, to my detriment, I go on tilt too often. And when I do, gamble recklessly. So I started being careful about how I feel and my emotional state during the hand and across hands.

Since then, I've noticed other players go on tilt from time to time. So I started wondering if there's certain things that I can do to put others on tilt on purpose. I'd like to know what you guys do to try to put others on tilt, whether it be TYPING ALL CAPS, or taking forever to play your turn, etc. The question also applies to B&M games.

Phogster
Old 05-11-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Putting Someone On Tilt

Use your time and energy on improving your postflop play instead.

olavfo
Old 05-11-2005, 09:33 PM

My advice to you would be this. At the time, don't worry about putting others on tilt, and learn to control yourself. For all intents and purposes, even if you became good at working people up, so to speak, your own tendency to go on tilt is going to still eat at your bankroll. It's such a game of fluctuations as it is, it's best to try and improve your game as much as possible, at least in my opinion, then trying to destroy other peoples.
Though, I suppose it depends on if you play more of an offensive or defensive role at the table? Do you "play like a rock," do you gab it up, etc?
I think it's equally important since you have say that you have a regard to go on tilt is to keep impeccable records on your wins and losses. I just know this because when I first started I would get upset and go on tilt at times, then eventually learned to focus my game more. When this happened I found it easier to concentrate on opponents, and to learn how they play, and think. From that point, it's easier to devise a strategy on how to play with them.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:33 PM

Yes. But you'r already in the business of taking people from the less "fortunate", most of whom you will never see again. Why not maximize your profits by all means necessary (legal ones that is)?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:46 PM

Word:

[ QUOTE ]
Use your time and energy on improving your postflop play instead.

olavfo

[/ QUOTE ]

Really what you need to do is go to the micro forums and read, post hands, read, read, ask questions, read, etc.

Study These books (Available right here, aren't you lucky?):

Getting Started in Hold'em

Theory of poker

Small Stakes Hold'em

HEPFAP

You will eventually understand that "putting others on tilt" is something that just sorta happens, unless you work at keeping them happy while you take their chips.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:50 PM

If someone will tilt to the piont of it being profitable for you chances are they'll do it on thier own. You won't have to make any effort to get them to do so. Everyone else is right. there are much more important things you should be concentrating on.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:19 AM

Yes, I agree with everyone that your energy is better put towards improving your game. However, when my play is criticized (perhaps I hit my "miracle" card), and they ask me "Why the hell did you play that hand?" I answer "To put you on tilt." [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 04:52 AM

That subject was discussed in my series at cardplayer.com. Click on magazine, writers, and my name.

Regards,
Old 05-12-2005, 04:13 PM

Phog, since you are a "stranger", I wanted to point out that Dr. Al is a well-respected author and 2+2 poster, so you should definitely look at those articles he refers to.

And welcome to the forums. Your question was much better than my first posts. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 04:59 PM

Well I will only try to tilt good players as the there's no need to tilt the fish. In trying, you might scare them away.

Some may say this is bad "poker etiquette" but alls fair in love and war.

If I put a tough beat on a player and he protests that I was lucky, I will respond with "It's not my fault you suck", or "I had you dominated the whole way" or some other jargon to suggest that I have a poor understanding of the game.

Then the next time he limps into a pot I might put in a large PF raise with any 2 and then show after he folds.

After that, I tighten up and wait for him to come after me when I have the goods.

***I'd like to add that I generally say very little at the table, with the exception of the occassional "nh" to the donk who sucks out on me. But, on occassion, I like to have a little fun.