Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: SLAP vs TAG

i just recently started using poker tracker and am also labeled a SLAP. it was my understading the aggresive referred to after the flop and the passive was overall, including preflop aggression. in my case, playing low pot limit/no limit ($25 max), i tend to call with speculative hands (suited connectors and suited aces) in early position, especially if the table has a low PFR. it's probably a leak, but i've convince myself it's the nature of low limits. your case may be different with more preflop aggression and less postflop, but analyzing the "more details" page in pokertracker will give you a better idea of where you might want to make adjustments.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just recently started using poker tracker and am also labeled a SLAP. it was my understading the aggresive referred to after the flop and the passive was overall, including preflop aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. The SLA refers to your slightly-loose and aggressive preflop play, while the P refers to your passive post-flop play.

By the way, I'm guessing that a lot of the somewhat-successful SLAPs in this thread have post-flop aggression numbers that would make then at least TA-N (neutrals) if they were a bit tighter. In other words - you can get the passive label in those PT categories without being very passive.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not quite. The SLA refers to your slightly-loose and aggressive preflop play, while the P refers to your passive post-flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, that's what it's sounding like everyone is saying in this thread. i guess i'm confused, because looking at the break down of aggression factor on all streets, i'm much more aggresive after the flop than before. my pokertracker aggression factor, not including preflop aggression, is slightly above 2. factoring in preflop aggression, the number is slightly less than 1.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the link. I have been trying to transition toward LAG to have gears for changing table dynamics.

I suppose I should break down and get Poker Tracker. I have heard so many good things about it. Honestly, I can't figure out why I have been dragging my feet getting it.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:41 PM

RIGHT :-)

well my aggression starts at 1.04 for flop and ends at 1.96 for river, so i guess i see the passivity area ... need to look into this in more detail.

LOL and as i typed i flop a st8 .. usually i would check to suck em in .... not enough sample evidence really, but its a funny old world!

(i didnt have a pre-flop aggresison variable, how did you calculate it?)

Thx for the replys, i guess sometimes its about finding where to look.

aren't forums great
Old 11-16-2005, 03:23 PM

Ok, i clicked the "show preflop aggression factor button", (doh!) but im too embarressed to post the value.

so basically im getting more aggressive as the hands go on ...not passive! ... which stas do you use confused? the original PT ones or from this site or from "another easy to find website with PT tuitorials"?

Looks like my SLAP is coming from lack of pre and flop aggression. (check call check-raise)
Old 11-16-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not being mean, because it's not just you...but do you
want to become a winning poker player or have really
cool-looking PT stats? They are not conjoined entities
necessarily unfortunately.

Also, TAG is just one winning style...there are a lot of winning
LAGs here...

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

try to be more zenlike, zen ..... if this isn't a thread about people wanting to improve poker skills .... i'll teach everyone how to clap with one hand.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, i clicked the "show preflop aggression factor button",...

[/ QUOTE ]

i am using the default pokertracker stat definitions. I didn't have a chance to look at how pokertracker defines SLAP exactly, but from memory, i think it's semi loose (before the flop) aggressive (after the flop) passive (overall, including preflop). which makes sense with the way i play. based on my stats, my high preflop call percentage is what drags my overall aggression stats down. pockertracker aggression factor is calculated using the formula: (bet+raise)/call so checking doesn't count against you.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:32 PM

excellent, so its definatly not a factor of check-raising then, which is kinda a relief ...i guess this is what leads the player to raising SC's in MP/LP ;-)

i reviewed a hand i played today where i flopped Quad Queens :-)(0.25/0.5Nl)

QQJ

i check flop, $4 turn , $15 river .. im pretty sure i could of got $4/$15/$30 (him all-in) since he called the $15 on turn he woulda called the rest on river, i woulda known that sooner by betting the $4 on flop.

I thought this to be a signifying leak for a SLAP (and thx to our discussion), certainly this is an extreme example of where flop aggression would of paid off a good few extra BB's and a potential weakness of my style at least.

Actually, statisticallly this play would be aggressive though at least to PT as i raise 3 times and call once? (3/1) but more aggressive if i bet the flop too (4/1)

What do you think ccOOgt?
Would you play this same way?

I have a feeling getting more agr pre and on the flop is the way to tweak SLAP.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link. I have been trying to transition toward LAG to have gears for changing table dynamics.

I suppose I should break down and get Poker Tracker. I have heard so many good things about it. Honestly, I can't figure out why I have been dragging my feet getting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

IT's free to try ..there is no good reason not to.