Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Poker Players, or What is that stuff under that rock?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wal-mart does, and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I had real numbers, but I can't see how it would be any other way. Volume is huge.

[/ QUOTE ]

In their January annual report:

459,158,000 square feet (not counting Sam's club)
$191.8 billion dollars of sales

$417.72/square foot of revenue

This isn't way out of range. I wasn't able to find recent competing figures, but a 1995 survey put the median grocery store revenue at about $400/sq ft.

But it is a lot. One major data center provider reported revenues of $164 million on 1.4 million square feet of space or about $117/sq ft.

A small botique (1000-2000 sq ft) earning Wal-mart rates would have revenues of $400-800K/year.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Poker Players, or What is that stuff under that rock?

When you compare sales/sq ft, don't mix the apples with the oranges. WM's product mix changes the perspective when you compare them with a Goodyear tire store, for instance. Compare the Goodyear store with a Firestone store if you're looking for who's doing a better job in the $/sf category.

WM's figures are in the mega-big range, sure. 24/7/363 in their Super Centers helps. The sq ft number you found may or may not be for floor space. Also, you don't know if they include the leased spaces or those sales numbers.

Probably more minutiae than anybody gives a rat's ass about, but I was just pointing out that the numbers are always rough. Only the guys reading the P/L know - and usually they're not advertising those numbers.