Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 01:18 PM

Default What do you think if this?

$1/$2 NL 6 max
Tricky LAG who is fairly good raises to $6 on the button.
I reraise to $24 in the BB with AK of spades. He calls.

We both have a little over $200.
Pot $50. Flop A86 rainbow. I bet $20. Theres nothing really to protect unless he has 97 (which is possible). He calls.

Pot $90. Turn 3. I check. He bets $40 and I check raise all in. When I play higher stakes it seems people are always doing this to me. They either raise or reraise preflop...bet the flop, then they check the turn and I think the were making a CB and have nothing. Then I bet the turn trying to steal the pot ( I usually have a decent hand or I wouldnt have called the flop)...then they check raise me. I cant call without a monster most times, but for all I know they have KK with the flop I posted.

So back to my hand, this guy probably wont call with TT or AJ, but he will also most likely check behind on the river anyway with those hands. Maybe not though, who knows.

Do you think Im losing too much value with this play? The guy is tricky enough that I think plays like this will slow him down against me when I really need to check the turn so it may be worth it even if I am losing value.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: What do you think if this?

[ QUOTE ]
The guy is tricky enough that I think plays like this will slow him down against me when I really need to check the turn so it may be worth it even if I am losing value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will accomplish the same thing with a standard raise, while allowing more hands to come along.

Tricky LAGs tend to see more "moves" than most people are really making, a smaller raise might keep him interested if you think you have the best hand.

Even though you might get a little more out of him by checking the turn, you are making it easier for him to play correctly with your push.

I am very comfortable playing against opponents who push. It is easy to get away, and sometimes I make some very profitable calls.

I am much less comfortable against tricky opponents constantly giving me marginal situations, never knowing what they have.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:36 PM

sure
Old 12-23-2005, 02:04 PM

Sure, what?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think sure to your question, and yea, it's good poker.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:14 PM

out of position this is my standard play (raise/reraise pf, bet flop, check raise turn allin). I think it's a very good play, the one problem being that I rarely do this without TPTK or better.

--turnipmonster
Old 12-23-2005, 02:32 PM

The actual question was "am I losing too much value with this play? So when she said "sure", I thought she meant that she didnt like the play.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:52 PM

I like it and will do this with TPTK or better a lot.. Sometimes with Air even.