Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Are $10 sngs holding my game back

I make a meagre living from smallish stakes sngs. My concern is that I have got stuck in a rut of playing tight-passive because it's actually been profitable for me. At lower stakes it seems the less 'moves' you make the better. I do push later in tournaments and that has been a successful strategy for me.
I just feel that my play has become stagnated and I would like to get more of a cutting edge to my game. Especially as I would like to step up in the class of game I play.
Are there any books you could recommend to sharpen up my game. I was thinking of Super System?? any thoughts. Or maybe certain threads on 2+2 to concentrate on. Thanks for any replies. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Are $10 sngs holding my game back

Knowing the standard play for typical situations is arguably enough to enjoy success at a given level. Limited to understanding the 'how', returns limited results. As we move up in levels, it makes sense that we might find an additional seat or two that shares this knowledge - diminished success maybe. Are they better? Some are. Mostly there is just more of them like you.

Understanding the 'why' that produces the 'how' is where you go next. It not only gets you closer to optimum -typical situation- play, but it will help you exploit the atypical aspects of the game as well.

How do you get there? Books are nice. Most any recommened book is making some effort to explain the reasons behind various decisions. Experience - certainly. Often in our quest to learn 'the system' and start rolling in the dough, we put on the back burner all that 'and this is why...' stuff. "Yeah, yeah, yeah...what do you do here, so I know next time?" type questions and answers are only exercises in committing to memory the 'how'.

The fun stuff only comes when you open yourself up to the rest. Read, study, ask, etc. Take the time. Single table for a bit. Analyze betting patters. Put opponents on ranges of hands (whether you're in the hand or not)...check HH at showdown, see how you did.

If there is a shortcut, I'm wasting a lot of time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My Aunt, in her 50's decided to have surgery to have her hearing artificially repaired - after losing her hearing at a very early age. The moment they 'flipped the switch', she was completely overwhelmed. Incapable of processing individual noises. A bit frightening to hear her describe it. But in her words - "glorious", all the same.

Personally I find myself at this stage in my game. The switch has just been turned on, and I'm only begining to sort through all of things I find myself 'hearing' now. Am I better yet? Nah...but I'm having more fun playing now than I have ever had before.

You used the word "stagnate". Being full is a good thing. Time to open yourself up for what lies behind the 'how'.

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:42 PM

Try HOH2. This book helped my bubble play two fold...
Old 12-08-2005, 04:59 PM

Goddamn, thats a good answer, bluefeet.

It's going to be hard to make a quality, content-filled post after bluefeet here, but here are my 2 cents:

Don't be discouraged by how you see people doing here on 2+2. When bluefeet says "put your opponents on a range and check the HH to see how you did," he's talking of a process that takes serious time. These finer, delicate points of the game are tremendously hard to master, so don't beat yourself up if you're still unable to predict his range correctly most of the time after just a couple of weeks.

Don't measure your progress in time units, it'll only cause feelings of stagnation, boredom, hopelessness.

But its good that you've decided to improve your game.

Now use that search function, find old (and even older) posts, try to contribute in hand discussions.

Here are 2 examples of interesting threads that I have on my laptop (I have a gigantic folder of 2+2 links on my main machine, but unfortunately its packed up and ready to be shipped overseas right now).

Bubble trubble by Dr_Jeckyl_00

June '05 STT forum digest by gildwulf (aah, summer...)

Good luck
Old 12-08-2005, 05:09 PM

"Don't be discouraged by how you see people doing here on 2+2."

This is a great point as well. First of all most of the people on here are only going to talk about their winning days and fail to mention the days they break even, lose a little, or lose a lot. Second, if you have the bank roll, jump right in. The 20's aren't much harder than the 10's but there is an adjustment that is required.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:01 PM

Thankyou all, for your very informative and constructive replies. I am a very ambitious poker player and will strive to improve my game to its limits. Good luck to you all and 2+2 during this festive period and beyond [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]