Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Poker Strategy For Online Play, key tips and expert advice.....

Guys having searched extensively for good, solid, online poker tips and advice, i have found the following. Please feel free to add your own tips and advice by posting replys. Hopefully we can get a big post rolling!

---------------------------------------------------

Poker Strategy - Introduction to No-Limit Texas Hold'em

No-Limit Hold'em is game of general strategy, basic tactical skills useful in all forms of poker, and a game of intense psychology.

Let's first talk general strategy. When you enter a No-Limit ring game, you need to know two things before you can really expect to roll in it:

Who are my opponents?
How many hands go to a showdown?
Types of opponents:
Generally, people speak of four types of players: tight-passive, tight-aggressive, loose-passive, loose-aggressive. The first modifier (tight or loose) characterizes the number of hands the person plays while the second (passive or aggressive) describes the player's betting style. I think for No-Limit Hold'em, loose-aggressive should be divided into two parts: action-seekers and solid players. Let's go through each of these types of players.

Tight-passives: These people do fine in a Limit game, but they won't make much in a No-Limit game. The only time these people will win is when they pick off bluffs; otherwise they won't get the value out of their hands that they should. When matched against these players:

Bluff at the flop a lot.
Put in a raise preflop and bet at the flop no matter what calls.

Fold when they represent a hand.
If they bet a little, they're probably on a draw. So stick with your hand if you got something. If they bet a lot, they got something good.

Take advantage of your control.
Don't go wild with your bluffs though. Fold preflop when you have nothing. But raise when you have a good hand and go for the kill at the flop. If you miss the kill, give up. But when you have something, milk him for everything it is worth.

Essentially, you can quickly tame these players into being calling stations or folding stations. And if he is making money against you while being a calling or folding station, you are doing something seriously wrong. These players are common, and you will certainly play against quite a few.

Loose-passives: They have to hope that people continually bluff into them because these people will call frequently with the second best hand. Calling with the second best hand is a recipe for disaster at No-Limit. You don't see too many of these loose-passive players at No-Limit games because they lose so quickly and run to Limit games.

Maniac loose-aggressive: These guys will buy a fair share of pots, but then will get themselves trapped by another aggressive player and will lose their stacks in one or two hands. What separates these from good loose-aggressives is that they lack discipline. They love the action of No-Limit so much that they get themselves trapped too easily. These players are even rarer than loose-passives in my experience.

Strong loose-aggressive: These guys seem like they are horrible maniacs, but in reality, they are a very dangerous form of player. These guys will certainly lose a lot of money in pots, but they also will buy a lot of pots and will win huge ones. The way these types of players win is mainly by getting a good read on the opponent and then making a well-timed bet.

My main tactic against these players is to trap them in their own game. I generally try to avoid having the pot escalate too much preflop unless I have Aces or Kings, and I generally try to not let them buy every pot. In other words, when I put in the raise preflop, I'll still often make a stab at the pot at the flop.

More importantly though, the way I beat these guys is to take them down at one big pot. Since these guys will play a lot of hands, especially shorthanded, they'll often play hands that lend themselves to be second best hands. Once I catch them in this situation, I just have to make sure I don't let them go too easily.

Tight-aggressive: This is my style and the style and the strategy that I'll teach. The tight-aggressive's main problems are that he may get chased out of a lot of flops early and that he may be too easily read. If I were to play against a clone of myself, I would hope to trickle him down bit by bit and hope to throw him off balance by doing so.

---------------------------------------------------
Old 10-10-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Poker Strategy For Online Play, key tips and expert advice.....

This post is life changing!
Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM

Hey! Im trying to start a good thread where people can post "life-changing" tips and poker tacktics, in particular for online play.
Do you have any good advice for all budding poker players?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey! Im trying to start a good thread where people can post "life-changing" tips and poker tacktics, in particular for online play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't spam 2+2?

[ QUOTE ]
The moderator has already been notified about this post.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-10-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out RGP?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:02 PM

Its not spam, it simply a question, or plee - for advice on online poker tells etc.

BTW - what is RGP?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW - what is RGP?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a place where you'd fit in just great with all the other thousands of spammers.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its not spam, it simply a question, or plee - for advice on online poker tells etc.

BTW - what is RGP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well in that case. If a guy waits a really long time before checking, you should bet because he is scared.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:29 AM

Always raise and reraise Jack-Ten-offsuit before the flop. Always.

In addition to being the best drawing hand in poker, a JTo raise tells the server to reset the Doom Switch. You may not win the hand, but you'll win a lot in the long run.