Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 03-14-2002, 09:42 AM

Default Opinions on Trading Index Futures

Do you know anyone who is successful at trading futures, especially stock index futures such as the S&P, Dow, Russell 2000, etc? I understand only 1 in 10 consistently make money. That is no different than a lot of other tough businesses. How does one get started at home and what are some good books or other sources of information?
Old 03-14-2002, 11:10 AM

Default start small, stay small, more later *NM*

Old 03-14-2002, 03:04 PM

Default the same thing I always say

I like to think I'm pretty quick at picking up and figuring out trading concepts. And yet, if it weren't for having had opportunities to watch other people trade, and to copy them, I couldn't have figured out what I know if I lived to be 1,000 years old. So if you can get into any office where people are making money, that would be a good start.

Some books which I have heard are good include Market Wizards, New Market Wizards, and Pit Bull: Lessons From Wall Street's Champion Trader. Some web sites which are good for beginners include DaCharts.com and Teachtrade.com. Whatever else may be at those web sites, through the haze, they do offer a window into the strategies of 1 or 2 people who actually make money.

And avoid anything about the "psychology" or "innergame" of trading. It is not a discipline, or self-control game. Emotions only move into an information vacuum, and lack of information or a plan - not greed or fear - are the reasons for a loss. The last thing anyone should learn is how to harden up and be stable/happy, while trading randomly without an edge!

Of people who simply try, or even persist a little, the number who ultimately succeed are much fewer than 1 in 10. You could perhaps learn to be a successful medical doctor in a shorter amount of time, and for less money. But you already knew that

eLROY
Old 03-14-2002, 04:34 PM

Default Thanks eLROY -Great Answers *NM*